Marvin's primary areas of practice deal with corporate, transactional and industry specific tax issues.
Areas of Concentration
· Internet tax and electronic commerce tax issues
· Multistate tax issues
· Federal, state and local tax controversies
· Federal and state tax planning for business transactions, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
· Telecommunication tax matters
· Bankruptcy tax matters
· State tax incentives for corporate relocation
· Entertainment industry tax issues
· Energy tax incentives
Professional & Community Involvement
· Chairman, Jewish Community Foundation of Palm Beach County, 1988-1990
· Secretary, Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, 1992-1999
· Former President, Palm Beach Tax Institute
· Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2008-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2007
· Recipient, Distinguished Community Service Award, Boca New Leadership Division of the Anti- Defamation League, 1999
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Secured a Florida sales tax ruling for casino ship client (Technical Assistance Advisement 11A-024) concluding that the purchase of a casino ship, retrofitting, and diesel fuel for operations are exempt from Florida sales and use tax as a result of being engaged in foreign commerce.
· Secured a Florida sales tax ruling for a public-private partnership developer client (Technical Assistance Advisement 07A-024) concluding that the payment of tolls on a private toll road is exempt from Florida sales tax.
· Member of Greenberg Traurig team that represented MAT Concessionaire, LLC and its sponsors, Meridiam Infrastructure Fund and Bouygues Travaux Publics, S.A., in the Port of Miami Tunnel project, one of the first greenfield public-private partnerships in the United States.
· Advises clients on all aspects of Internet and electronic commerce and telecommunication tax issues.
· Handles federal income tax, estate and gift tax, multi-state sales tax controversies, Florida sales and use tax, documentary stamp tax, corporate income tax and ad valorem tax controversies at the audit, appeal and trial levels.
· Performs tax planning functions for business and family wealth planning transactions, including corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures, nonrecognition transactions, real estate transaction, business formations and dissolutions, workouts, liquidations and wealth planning matters.
· Negotiates tax and economic incentives with state and local governments in connection with corporate relocation and expansion.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Same-Sex Spouses Face State Tax Uncertainty, Financial Advisor Magazine's E-Newsletter, September 9, 2013
· Author, "Court's DOMA Decision Impacts Income Tax Planning," The Miami Herald, July 1, 2013
· Author, "Bill Criminalizing Sales Tax Skimming Software Passed by Florida Legislature - New York Bill Would Do the Same," e-Commerce Law Report, May 2012
· Author, "Texas Clears Up Server-Nexus E-Commerce Sales Tax Issue," E-Commerce Times, June 2011
· Author, "Colorado's New Rules Cuts Etailers a Little Slack," E-Commerce Times, November 2010
· Co-Author, "Got a Server in Texas? Beware of New Sales Tax Rules," E-Commerce Times, September 2010
· Author, "E-Tailers Should Act Fast to Comply With Colorado's New Tax Law," E-Commerce Times, March 2010
· Author, "The Front Line of the E-Commerce Tax Battle, Update," E-Commerce Times, August2009
· Author, "The Front Line of the E-Commerce Tax Battle, Part 2," E-Commerce Times, June 2009
· Author, "The Front Line of the E-Commerce Tax Battle, Part I," E-Commerce Times, June 2009
· Co-Author, "D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses Opinion That Encouraged Settlement of Employment Law Claims" The Checkoff, March 2008
· Author, "Tax Match: The States vs. the Services," Telecommunications Online, September 28, 2005
· Author, "The Effect of Bankruptcy on a Subchapter S Election," The Bankruptcy Strategist, September 2003
· Author, "Taxation of E-Commerce in the United States," Global eCommerce Law and Business Report, December 2001
· Co-author, "Being Held Personally Liable for Debtor Company's Unpaid Taxes," New York Law Journal, August 27, 2001
· Author, "A Congressional About Face," TheDeal.com, January 4, 2001
· Author, "Domain Name Purchases Could Hit a Taxation Snag," South Florida Business Journal, July 2000
· Author, "The Future of State and Local Sales Taxation of Electronic Commerce," Electronic Commerce Advisor, September/October, 1999
· Speaker, American Bar Association Entertainment Law Section, Webinar on State Film Credits, 2011
· Speaker, OAS Conference on Electronic Commerce, 1999
· Speaks frequently on topics dealing with tax related issues
(Also at West Palm Beach Office)