Mary Ellen Pisanelli spends most of her time serving as outside general counsel for a large publicly traded client, Health Care REIT, Inc. (NYSE-HCN), and managing a team of professionals who service most legal matters for this client. Her principal areas of practice are corporate finance, SEC disclosure, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions.
Mary Ellen joined the firm in 1982 as an associate attorney, became a partner in 1990 and was elected for two terms to Shumaker's firm-wide eight-person Management Committee. She is the co-chair of the firm's REIT practice group.
Since 2005, Mary Ellen has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America. She was featured in The Pennsylvania Lawyer, "Women Law Graduates of 1982: Where They've Gone Since," September-October 2004, and in Business Venture, "Behind the Cover: A Cast of Characters Supporting Business in Northwest Ohio."
Mary Ellen represents Health Care REIT, Inc. (NYSE - HCN) with respect to HCN's capital transactions, acquisitions, dispositions and corporate governance issues, among other matters.
Some recent notable capital transactions include representing HCN as lead securities counsel in the following:
· issuance of 13,800,000 shares of HCN common stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $811,000,000 of proceeds in August 2012;
· redemption of $168,000,000 of HCN 4.75% convertible senior unsecured notes in June 2012;
· issuance of $600,000,000 of HCN 4.125% senior unsecured notes in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $594,064,000 of proceeds in April 2012;
· redemption of $125,563,000 of HCN 4.75% convertible senior unsecured notes in April 2012;
· redemption of $100,000,000 of HCN 7.875% Series D and $175,000,000 of HCN 7.625% Series F Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock in April 2012;
· issuance of 11,500,000 shares of HCN 5% Series J Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $277,901,000 of proceeds in March 2012;
· issuance of 20,700,000 shares of HCN common stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $1,062,737,00 of proceeds in February 2012;
· issuance of 12,650,000 shares of HCN common stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $606,595,000 of net proceeds in November 2011;
· extension in July 2011 of HCN's unsecured line of credit arrangement to July 2015 and expansion to $2,000,000,000;
· issuance of $1,400,000,000 of HCN senior unsecured notes due 2016 to 2041 bearing interest rates of 3.625% to 6.5% in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $1,381,086,000 of net proceeds in March 2011;
· issuance of 14,375,000 shares of HCN 6.5% convertible preferred stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $696,437,000 of net proceeds in March 2011; and
· issuance of 28,750,000 shares of HCN common stock in an underwritten public offering generating approximately $1,358,543,000 of net proceeds in March 2011.
Some recent notable acquisitions include representing HCN as lead or co-counsel in the following:
· HCN's completion of approximately $1,902,478,000 of gross investments during the six months ended June 30, 2012, including the Chart well Seniors Housing REIT investment of approximately $509,500,000 that closed on May 1, 2012 for a total investment in the 42 seniors housing and care communities located in Canada of approximately $936,500,000;
· HCN's completion of approximately $5,986,262,000 of gross investments in 2011 including the Genesis HealthCare Corp sale-leaseback for approximately $2,400,000,000, the Silverado Senior Living sale-leaseback for approximately $890,000,000 and the Benchmark Senior Living sale-leaseback for approximately $298,000,000; and
· HCN's stock merger with Windrose Medical Properties Trust valued at approximately $877,000,000.
· Best Lawyers in America, 2005 - 2014
· Best Lawyers, "Toledo Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year," 2014
· AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional and Community Affiliations
· Toledo Bar Association
· Ohio Bar Association
· American Bar Association
· National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
· Toledo Museum of Art, Board of Trustees, Vice Chair and Chair of Audit Committee
· Toledo Zoo, President, Board of Trustees
· Toledo Hospital Foundation, Board of Trustees