Matthew C. Mousley practices in the areas of intellectual property and information technology, including intellectual property trial and appellate litigation, technology licensing, and related business transactions. Mr. Mousley's experience includes both litigation and transactional work with diverse technologies such as pharmaceutical and healthcare products, telecommunications and the Internet, automation and manufacturing systems, and building and construction materials. He is regularly involved in intellectual property portfolio management in these and other technical fields.
Mr. Mousley has experience in all stages of patent litigation, from pre-litigation strategy and planning through final appeal. His litigation experience includes, among other fields, pharmaceuticals (Hatch-Waxman/ANDA), IP portfolio management software, VoIP technology, and manufacturing automation systems. He is experienced in patent and prior art analysis, infringement analysis, motions practice, summary judgment briefing, preparation of infringement/invalidity contentions, expert reports, pre-trial orders, trial briefs, trial administration and presentation, and post-trial briefing. Drawing from his experience as a federal appellate judicial clerk, Mr. Mousley is experienced with prospective appellate strategy at trial and appellate practice post-trial.
Mr. Mousley is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and is an active member, and current board member, of the International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw). Prior to joining Duane Morris, he served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Mr. Mousley is a 2004 summa cum laude graduate of Villanova University School of Law, where he served as the executive editor of the Villanova Law Review, and a 2001 summa cum laude graduate of Franklin & Marshall College (B.A., Chemistry and French).
• Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2013-present
- Associate, 2005-2012
• Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2004-2005
• Co-author, Chapter 18: ANDA Preparation (with an Eye toward Approval and Litigation) and the FDA Review , Pre-ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Developing a Drug Product and Patent Portfolio, 2014
• Co-author, Addressing Breach of Method-of-Use Patents by Generics , Law360, May 2, 2012
• Co-author, Federal Circuit Addresses Infringement of Method-of-Use Patents by Generics in Yasmin Case , Duane Morris Alert, April 18, 2012
• Co-author, Copyright Law Implications in Video Games and Virtual Worlds, Chapter in Computer Games and Virtual Worlds: A New Frontier in Intellectual Property Law, American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (2010)
• Supreme Court Expands the Patent Exhaustion Doctrine , Duane Morris Alert, June 10, 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Guest lecturer on Intellectual Property Law, Drexel University
• Moderator, Cryptocurrency: Bitcoin and Beyond, Philadelphia Bar Association, Cyberlaw Committee, August 2014
• Panelist, Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI) 55th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., April 2012
• Invited Lecturer, Introduction to Intellectual Property Law, Law Review CLE, Philadelphia, March 2012
• Co-presenter, Security Breaches , Duane Morris Audiocast, October 2010
• Co-presenter, An Overview of Security Laws in the United States , Duane Morris Audiocast, October 2010
• Co-presenter, Privacy Law in the U.S.: An Overview of Laws at the Federal and State Levels , Duane Morris Audiocast, July 2010