- Product Risk Management & Response
- Consumer Product Safety
- Employment Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
|Contact Info||Telephone: 202.434.7348|
Internet: Each Attorney's Internet Address takes the following form: first initial, last name @mintz.com (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
|University ||Cornell University, B.A., 2003|
|Law School||Washington University, J.D., 2008|
|Admitted||2009, District of Columbia and New York|
Matthew has experience working with corporate and individual clients in litigation before federal and state courts. He has assisted clients litigate a wide variety of general business issues, including antitrust and unfair/deceptive trade practice issues, business torts, contract disputes, and employment matters, among others. He has also helped spearhead clients' responses to civil investigative demands (CIDs) issued by government agencies, such as the Federal Trade Commission and third-party subpoenas.
Additionally, Matthew has assisted in counseling clients regarding numerous consumer product safety issues before the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Recently, Matthew has worked extensively with client manufacturers, importers, and retailers of consumer products on an array of compliance and regulatory matters resulting from passage of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. He has also represented clients before Congress in the product safety arena.
Before law school, Matthew was the senior legislative assistant for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. He worked with members of Congress to foster the US-Israel strategic partnership on defense and homeland security issues. While attending law school, Matthew served as a legal intern for the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform, Office of Investigations, chaired by Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA).
• Eleven Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , ( 04.25.2014 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Washington DC Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2014)
• Co-author, CPSC Approves $3.9 Million Penalty and Imposition of Compliance Program for National Retail Chain , Consumer Product Safety Alert ( 07.17.2013 )
• Co-author, New Children's Product Testing and Certification Rule Set to Impact Manufacturers and Importers on February 8 , Consumer Product Safety Alert ( 02.04.2013 )
• Eleventh Circuit Finds Competitor Hospital Is Efficient Enforcer for Tying Claim under Federal Antitrust Laws , Antitrust Advisory ( 05.26.2010 )
• Recent Major Decisions by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Impact Sellers of Children's Product , Consumer Product Safety Commission Alert ( 07.29.2009 )
• Announcement of New Nominees To The Consumer Product Safety Commission: How This Might Affect Your Business Sooner Than You Think , Consumer Product Safety Commission Advisory ( 05.07.2009 )
• Panelist, Understanding the Legal Context of Israel, Israeli Business Conference , Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, Washington, DC (02.04.2011)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
CPSC Clarifies Changes to Monthly Recall Report Form
Matthew Cohen,Matthew R. Howsare,Charles A. Samuels, October 20, 2014
In May, we advised readers conducting recalls that the CPSC’snew monthly “recall progress report” form may catch you by surprise. Among other changes, the form included new provisions requesting companies to report recall notification statistics on social media platforms like...
Product Safety Update from Capitol Hill (Part Three)
Matthew Cohen, October 10, 2014
Earlier this year, we began a series of blog entries to update our readers on legislative efforts on Capitol Hill that affect stakeholders within the product safety arena. Over the summer, we updated you on an amendment to an appropriations bill passed in the House of Representatives that would...
|Profile Visibility |
|#3,858 in weekly profile views out of 49,855 lawyers in Washington, District of Columbia|
|#129,265 in weekly profile views out of 1,568,853 total lawyers Overall|