- Product Risk Management & Response
- Consumer Product Safety
- Employment Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
|Contact Info||Telephone: 202.434.7348|
Internet: Each Attorney's Internet Address takes the following form: first initial, last name @mintz.com (e.g., email@example.com)
|University ||Cornell University, B.A., 2003|
|Law School||Washington University, J.D., 2008|
|Admitted||2009, District of Columbia and New York|
Matthew has experience working with corporate and individual clients in litigation before federal and state courts. He has assisted clients litigate a wide variety of general business issues, including antitrust and unfair/deceptive trade practice issues, business torts, contract disputes, and employment matters, among others. He has also helped spearhead clients' responses to civil investigative demands (CIDs) issued by government agencies, such as the Federal Trade Commission and third-party subpoenas.
Additionally, Matthew has assisted in counseling clients regarding numerous consumer product safety issues before the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Recently, Matthew has worked extensively with client manufacturers, importers, and retailers of consumer products on an array of compliance and regulatory matters resulting from passage of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. He has also represented clients before Congress in the product safety arena.
Before law school, Matthew was the senior legislative assistant for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. He worked with members of Congress to foster the US-Israel strategic partnership on defense and homeland security issues. While attending law school, Matthew served as a legal intern for the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform, Office of Investigations, chaired by Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA).
• Eleven Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.25.2014)
Recognitions & Awards
• Washington DC Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2014)
Co-author,CPSC Approves $3.9 Million Penalty and Imposition of Compliance Program for National Retail Chain,Consumer Product Safety Alert (07.17.2013)
• Co-author,New Children's Product Testing and Certification Rule Set to Impact Manufacturers and Importers on February 8,Consumer Product Safety Alert (02.04.2013)
• Eleventh Circuit Finds Competitor Hospital Is Efficient Enforcer for Tying Claim under Federal Antitrust Laws,Antitrust Advisory (05.26.2010)
• Recent Major Decisions by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Impact Sellers of Children's Product,Consumer Product Safety Commission Alert (07.29.2009)
• Announcement of New Nominees To The Consumer Product Safety Commission: How This Might Affect Your Business Sooner Than You Think,Consumer Product Safety Commission Advisory (05.07.2009)
Panelist,Understanding the Legal Context of Israel,Israeli Business Conference, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, Washington, DC (02.04.2011)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Toy Companies Sued for Importing Defective Products
Matthew Cohen, March 17, 2014
Last week, the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) filed suit in federal court against four California companies and six individuals for importing products that violate the Federal Hazardous Substances Act (“FHSA”) and the Consumer Product Safety Act (“CPSA”). The...
Large Retailer Fined for Violating Australia’s Product Safety Laws
Matthew Cohen,Matthew R. Howsare, January 15, 2014
At the end of December, Dimmeys, a large Australian discount department store, was fined approximately $3 million dollars by an Australian court for violating Australia’s federal product safety laws for the fifth time. The retailer’s supplier, Starite Distributors, was fined $600,000,...
FTC Brings Enforcement Action over “Made in USA” Claims
Matthew Cohen,Charles A. Samuels, November 7, 2013
Two months ago, our colleague Dan Herling cautioned on this blog about making unsubstantiated “Made in the USA” claims on consumer products. He compared the Federal Trade Commission’s standard to California’s more stringent standard under Business & Professions Code...
|Profile Visibility |
|#3,876 in weekly profile views out of 47,909 lawyers in Washington, District of Columbia|
|#118,525 in weekly profile views out of 1,512,663 total lawyers Overall|