Matthew focuses his practice on corporate and securities law matters, with an emphasis on securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions. He represents issuers, investors and investment banking firms in a broad range of capital market transactions, including initial public offerings, PIPEs, follow-on public equity and debt offerings, SPACs and private placements. He counsels clients on Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance, the ongoing reporting requirements of publicly traded companies, corporate governance best practices and various other matters affecting publicly-traded companies and their officers and directors.
Matthew has served as counsel for clients engaged in a broad range of industries, including retail, technology, life sciences and media/telecommunications. He has advised companies with respect to spin-offs, exchange offers, tender offers, debt repurchases programs and stock buybacks.
Matthew has served as outside general counsel to a variety of publicly traded companies, including Atlantic Tele-Network, Helix Technology Corporation, TECO Energy, Boston Communications Group, Inc. (bcgi), Dynasil Corporation of America and SofTech, Inc.
Mergers & Acquisitions
• Essilor International SA in its acquisition of Costa Inc. (NASDAQ: ATX)
• FGX International in its acquisition of Stylemark
• ASSA ABLOY AB in its $80 million acquisition of LaserCard Corporation (NASDAQ: LCRD)
• ABRY Partners, a private equity firm, in its $1.3 billion acquisition of RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI)
• Cequent Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Marina Biotech, Inc. (NASDAQ: MRNAD), formerly known as MDRNA, Inc., a leading RNAi-based doing discovery and development company
• Dynasil Corporation of America (NASDAQ: DYSL) in its acquisition of Hilger Crystal Limited, a U.K. subsidiary of Newport Corp. (NASDAQ: NEWP)
• Management team of Netsmart Technologies, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Netsmart by private equity firm, Genstar Capital, including terms of management's "roll-over" and co-investment arrangements and related employment and compensation arrangements
• Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502) in its $8.8 billion acquisition of Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: MLNM), one of the largest foreign acquisitions by a Japanese company, the largest by a Japanese company in the pharmaceutical industry and IDD magazine's "Healthcare Deal of the Year" in 2008
• Lane, Berry & Co. International LLC in its sale to Raymond James Financial, Inc.
• Netsmart Technologies, Inc. in its acquisition of the assets of the Therapist Helper Division from Nightingale Informatix Corporation (TSX-V: NGH)
• XIUS - bcgi in its sale of substantially all of its interests in its Israeli subsidiary, Puresight Technologies Limited
• Boston Communications Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: BCGI) in its $65 million merger with Megasoft Limited
• Helix Technology Corporation (NASDAQ: HELX) in its agreement to merge with Brooks Automation in a $450 million stock swap, creating a leading provider of integrated subsystems to the semi-conductor capital equipment industry
• TECO Energy in its $280.5 million public offering of common stock
• Stemline Therapeutics, Inc. in its initial public offering
• Recapitalization transaction of SofTech, Inc.
• Atlantic Tele-Network in its $68 million public offering of common stock
• American Tower Corporation (NYSE: AMT), the leading independent operator of wireless and broadcast communications towers in North America, in numerous public equity and debt offerings and Rule 144A offerings
• Lamar Advertising Company (NASDAQ: LAMR), the largest independent outdoor advertising company, in its $287.5 million convertible notes offering
• Sheffield Steel, a leading regional producer of steel products, in its $80 million high-yield notes offering
Recognitions & Awards
• Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Compliance Law, Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Law (2006 - 2014)
Professional & Community Involvement
• Member, Committee on Federal Securities Regulations, American Bar Association
• Member, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
• Co-chair, Securities Law Committee, Boston Bar Association (2005 - 2007)
• Member, Board of Overseers, Boys & Girls Club of Boston (2007 - 2013)
• Trustee, South Kent School (2009-2014)
• Elected member, Waban Area Council
• Speaker, Selected Topics in Public M&A, Charleston School of Law, Charleston, SC(03.17.2014)
• Moderator, Applying the SEC's Guidance to Comply with Reg. FD and Take Your Investor Relations to the Next Level, Making the Most of Your Corporate Website, Practising Law Institute (02.2009)
• Mintz Levin Expands Corporate & Securities Practice with Addition of Matthew Gardella in Boston, (08.05.2014)