|University ||University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, B.S., Criminal Justice, 1992|
|Law School||Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Camden, Camden, New Jersey, J.D., 2003|
|Admitted||2003, Pennsylvania; 2003, New Jersey|
Associations & Memberships
• New Jersey Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Bar Association
Matt joined Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin in 2003 and is a member of the Casualty Department. His practice is concentrated in product liability and product warranty, motor vehicle liability, premises liability, and investigation and litigation of Special Investigative Unit, property damage claims as well as underwriting fraud and policy voidance. Matt's representations have included a major American automobile manufacturer in product liability matters and a national security agency for professional sporting venues.
Selected recent high-exposure cases Matt has successfully brought to conclusion include:
• A directed verdict for failure to prove negligence on behalf of a security company defendant at a professional sports stadium in an action brought by a patron who claimed to have her nose broken by the mother of one of the players.
• A hung jury following a two-and-a-half day deliberation in a case against a defendant taxi driver in which plaintiff claimed the driver caused her neck and back strain after driving the wrong way up a one-way street, running a stop sign and into the side of plaintiff's car, but where defendant argued the alleged injuries were pre-existing.
• A hospital defendant whose lost driver while making a u-turn was struck in the side by another driver with a passenger. In that case, the plaintiff passenger's case was dismissed before trial, and the driver plaintiff was awarded only nominal damages by a jury, even though it determined that plaintiff had pierced the limited tort threshold by showing that he had a serious injury with a serious impairment of a bodily function.
Matt also has experience with the successful use of multiple experts in defending cases. For example, in a recent motor vehicle matter, through the use of medical expert testimony in the areas of orthopedics and neurology, in combination with the testimony of a vocational expert, Matt was successful in bringing the settlement demand in that case down from $1.25 million to a final settlement before jury selection of $25,000.
Matt is a 1992 graduate of the University of Scranton. Upon graduation, he accepted a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He served in Virginia, California, Japan and Pennsylvania as a logistics officer. In 1999 while on active duty, he entered Rutgers School of Law - Camden. Matt graduated from Rutgers a semester early in 2002 with a juris doctor. In July 2003, he was mobilized with the Marine Corps for Operation Iraqi Freedom 2-II for eight months of service at Al Asad airbase in Iraq with Marine Wing Support Group 37 as the group's Logistics/Legal Officer.
Outside of his practice, Matt continues to serve as a lieutenant colonel in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and has done so since 2003.
• Understanding and Navigating the Philadelphia Arbitration System, CLE 2011
Pro Bono Activities
• Volunteer, Veterans Mentor, Bucks County Veterans Court, assisting vetrans in working towards successful resolutions of criminal charges so future contact with the criminal justice system can be avoided
Honors & Awards
• Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2012-2013
Year Joined Organization: 2003
|Reported Cases||Published Works: Can A Plaintiff Safely Walk and Chew Gum At The Same Time in Pennsylvania? Defense Digest, Vol. 19, No. 4, December 2013, co-author; Cracking the Concrete Corporation Veil, Defense Digest, Winter 2007; Stolen Cars: If It Looks Like A Duck And Quacks Like A Duck, It's An 'Ugly Duck', Defense Digest, Winter 2005; Look Both Ways Before Crossing The Street: Limited Tort Selection And Its Effect On The Pedestrian, Defense Digest, Fall 2003|
|Profile Visibility |
|#762 in weekly profile views out of 15,833 lawyers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|#46,159 in weekly profile views out of 1,571,845 total lawyers Overall|