Maurice became Chairman of Husch Blackwell in 2012. In this role, he is responsible for developing and communicating the firm's strategic direction and ensuring that its policies and culture align with this direction. He serves as the firm's visible leader and public ambassador.
As a member of the firm's Healthcare, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals industry team, Maurice brings significant board membership and community leadership experience specific to healthcare:
· Leadership positions with the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City and the AIDS Service Foundation.
· Advocacy for children's health by serving on the boards of children's hospitals and supporting their interests in federal legislation.
Maurice's practice focuses on representation of educational institutions, including public and private schools and school systems, colleges and universities, and regional and national education associations. He has represented clients in state and federal courts in complaints brought by employees for employment discrimination, harassment and alleged violations of statutory and constitutional rights and cases filed by students for alleged violations of statutory and constitutional rights with favorable results.
Maurice also advises public, private and nonprofit boards of education in sensitive investigations of misconduct involving executives, administrators and directors. He regularly speaks at national and regional meetings and conferences on the legal rights of students and employees in the school setting and also works with boards on best governance practices.
In addition to his role as Chairman, Maurice is a member of the firm's Executive and Partner Boards, and he serves on the firm's Diversity Council.
Before joining Husch Blackwell, Maurice was a senior aide to U.S. Sen. John Danforth in Washington, D.C.
Awards & Recognitions
· Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
· Missouri Hospital Association Excellence in Governance Award, 2007
· NAACP, Kansas City, Mo., Chapter, Velma E. Woodson Outstanding Leadership Award, 2012
· Nonprofit Connect Volunteer of the Year Award, 2012 [video]
· Urban League of Greater Kansas City, Difference Maker of the Year Award, 2012
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association
· Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
· Civic Council of Greater Kansas City
· Jackson County Bar Association
· Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
· Lawyers' Association of Kansas City, Board of Directors, 1994-1995
· The Missouri Bar
· National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions, Board of Trustees, 1997-2003
· National Association of College and University Attorneys
· National Association of Independent Schools, Board of Trustees, Secretary, 1995-2003
· National School Boards Association, Council of School Attorneys, Board of Directors, 2008-2012
· AIDS Service Foundation, Board of Directors, 2006-2012
· The Barstow School, Board of Trustees, President, 1989-1996
· Children's Mercy Hospital, Board of Directors, Chair, 1993-2007
· Children's Mercy Hospital Foundation, Board of Trustees, Vice Chair, 2002-2007, 2012-present
· Harry S. Truman Library Institute, Board of Trustees, 2008-present
· Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City, Community Advisory Board, 2005-2006
· Kansas City Art Institute, Board of Trustees, Vice Chair, 2008-present; Secretary, 2012-present
· Kansas City Ballet, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, 2001-2007
· Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2012-present
· Metropolitan Community College Foundation, Board of Directors, 2011-present
· Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Board of Trustees, 2012-present
· University of Missouri-Kansas City, Board of Trustees, 2012-present
4.1.11, Striving for Greatness in Trusteeship, The Savvy Trustee