Meagen E. Leary maintains a national creditors' rights, real estate and bankruptcy law practice. She handles multimillion-dollar commercial loan workout, foreclosure, bankruptcy, guaranty and lender liability matters for secured lenders, special servicers, borrowers, investors and receivers. Ms. Leary's practice includes litigating lender liability and business tort claims, contract disputes, eminent domain suits, lien priority issues and other property rights, as well as a variety of other secured transaction issues. On the transactional side, Ms. Leary and her team handle all aspects of real estate acquisition/disposition and commercial loan transactions.
Ms. Leary acts as regional outside counsel for a large special servicer client in twenty states, including the western region of the United States. Primary responsibilities include overseeing and managing active litigation, bankruptcies, loan workouts and foreclosures. She works closely with asset managers and in-house counsel in structuring and implementing workout and litigation strategies, directs and supervises outside counsel in the implementation of cost effective litigation strategies and advises in-house counsel regarding legal developments impacting rights of secured lenders.
Ms. Leary's construction practice focuses on the representation of lenders, owners, developers, design professionals and general contractors in matters that include insurance issues, claims of delay and disruption, lease and contract disputes, unfair business practices, professional malpractice, mechanics' liens, property rights, and other related disputes.
Ms. Leary is a 2004 cum laude graduate of Tulane Law School, where she was a member of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal, and a graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles.
Honors & Awards
• Listed in Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars, 2013-2014
Civic and Charitable Activities
• San Francisco Food Bank
• Co-author, Proceed with Caution When Foreclosing in Washington State: Split Decisions Regarding Deficiency Claims , Duane Morris Alert, February 27, 2014
• Co-author, Glaski Decision Appears to Place Lenders on Notice to Verify Accuracy and Effectiveness of Loan Assignments , Duane Morris Alert, September 10, 2013
• Author, Nevada Ruling Suggests Lenders Wait Until Foreclosure Before Pursuing Guarantor Claim , Duane Morris Alert, February 27, 2013
• Co-author, Third Circuit's Credit-Bid Decision's Impact upon Secured Lenders , Duane Morris Alert, March 25, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Panelist, TICs: Trouble in Common? CRE Finance Council West Coast High Yield Real Estate Finance Summit, Santa Monica, May 14, 2014
• Speaker, Legal Strategies for Deals, Disputes and Workouts - A Practical Approach, 3rd Annual Trigild Spring Lender Conference, Dallas, April 24, 2014
• Speaker, Attorney Client Privilege and Smart Communications, Client Seminar, November 2013
• Speaker, The Market & Industry Impacts on the Valuation of Healthcare Facilities, Appraisal Institute Fall Conference, November 1, 2012
• Speaker, Deposition Preparation Seminar, Client Seminar, October 25, 2012
• Panel Moderator, REO - How Do You Drive Value, Trigild Lender Conference, October 2013
• Speaker, CREFC - West Coast Symposium: Creative Workout Strategies, May 2013
• Speaker, Living Receiverships: Cases with Specialized Medical Licensing and Leasing Issues, The Bay Area Chapter of the California Receivers Forum, San Francisco, June 20, 2012
• Speaker, Medical Marijuana Leases and the Impact on REO Property, Client Seminar, June 7, 2012
• Speaker, What to Consider in Your Receiver Order, California Receivers Forum, May 13, 2010
• Speaker, Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Issues in Construction Law, DRI Construction Law Seminar, September 10, 2009