Mechelle Zarou's practice encompasses all areas of labor and employment law, including wrongful discharge, discrimination, workers' compensation, unemployment compensation, business immigration, labor negotiations and arbitrations, and unfair labor practice charges.
Mechelle regularly advises employer clients on a variety of workers compensation and unemployment compensation issues, and represents employers at all levels of the administrative hearing process for such claims. In addition, Mechelle handles workers' compensation and unemployment compensation court appeals, as well as intentional tort lawsuits due to workplace injuries.
Mechelle also regularly advises clients regarding state and federal employment law claims, with particular emphasis on the FMLA, the ADA, and Title VII and related state statutes. She also defends employers who face administrative charges before the EEOC, OCRC, OSHA and the NLRB, as well as court actions relating to employment discrimination or retaliation. Mechelle's labor practice includes frequent defense of employee grievances in arbitration.
In addition, Mechelle assists employers with obtaining temporary and permanent visas for skilled foreign workers. She has extensive experience in obtaining L-1, H-1B, TN and E visas on behalf of foreign workers, as well as permanent residency based on employment. Mechelle also has experience assisting the firm's healthcare clients with their specialized immigration needs, including obtaining J-1 visa waivers, visa screen certifications, and H-1B cap exemptions.
• 2010 Ohio State Bar Foundation's Community Service Award for Attorneys 40 and Under. The Community Service Award recognizes attorneys aged 40 or younger who contribute substantial time and effort to a local social service or a local civic, artistic or cultural organization. The service must be outside the recipient's practice of law and must be given without compensation. Recipients should represent the ideals of the legal profession, be a credit to the profession and enjoy a fine professional reputation.
• 2008 Trustees Award presented by the Toledo Bar Association. The Trustees Award is given by the Toledo Bar Association Board of Trustees to a young member of the Association who exemplifies professionalism in the practice of law and who has demonstrated a commitment to improving the legal profession through active involvement in the Toledo Bar Association.
• 20 Under 40 Leadership Award recipient. The 20 Under 40 Leadership Program focuses on individuals under the age of 40 who have distinguished themselves in their careers and/or in the community.
• Best Lawyers in America, 2009 - 2015
• Ohio Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2007, 2009 - 2014
10.01.2014 Shumaker Unveils Blog Focused on Immigration Law
09.02.2014 Shumaker Launches Law Blog to Highlight Social Media Developments
08.21.2014 82 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2015
12.05.2013 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named to 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
08.15.2013 83 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2014
12.21.2012 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named to 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
08.28.2012 81 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2013
09.07.2011 70 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America 2012
12.20.2010 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named to 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
10.27.2010 Mechelle Zarou Recognized by Ohio State Bar Foundation for Community Service
08.12.2010 70 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2011
09.23.2014 USCIS Now Using New Ink Color for Certain Documents Which May be Used for Form I-9
09.15.2014 Immigrant Visas for EB-5 China Depleted
12.04.2007 I-9 Form News Bulletin
02.10.2012 Dividends Newsletter - Volume 6, Number 1
Autumn 2011 insights Newsletter - Autumn 2011
Spring 2011 insights Newsletter - Spring 2011