Practice/Industry Group Overview
Matters that were once handled through civil or regulatory processes now often result in criminal investigations. As prosecutorial offices become more aggressive, clients need to develop or enhance their internal compliance programs to avoid the devastating consequences that inevitably follow the public filing of charges. And should charges be brought against an individual, business, or organization, clients need the experience and skills of criminal defense attorneys to effectively represent them.
The attorneys in Meyer, Suozzi's Criminal Defense Law practice offer unique prosecutorial experience having served as:
- Special Attorney in the United States Department of Justice's Organized Crime Strike Force
- Assistant United States Attorney in the Criminal Division for the Eastern District of New York
- Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office
- Senior Trial Attorney in the Homicide Bureau of the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office
- Trial Attorney in the Manhattan Criminal Defense Division of the Legal Aid Society Chief of the Rackets Bureau, Deputy
- Chief of the Investigations Division, Chief of the Labor Racketeering Unit-Construction Industry Strike Force in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office
Our criminal defense law attorneys represent individual clients and businesses and labor unions in grand jury and internal investigations, and have successfully brought matters to conclusion, avoiding criminal charges against our clients. Our attorneys have achieved significant results for our clients, defending persons and entities accused of crimes or regulatory offenses before federal and state courts and administrative agencies. We have also litigated to the clients' advantage in a diversity of cases ranging from licensed professionals facing disciplinary actions, to charges of fraud, tax evasion, RICO, antitrust, environmental harms, public corruption, extortion, and homicide.
Because they understand the value of the carefully and quietly achieved victories that avoid both litigation and the limelight, our criminal defense law attorneys have successfully convinced government counsel to decline or defer prosecution, saving our clients the costly fallout from an arrest or indictment.
In addition, our criminal defense attorneys advise clients on developing and implementing internal compliance programs designed to avoid problems before they result in formal law enforcement investigations.