Michael Packer is the firm's supervising attorney for insurance coverage and bad faith matters in the state of Florida. The Group assists insurers in all aspects of a coverage dispute, from responses to Civil Remedy Notices of Insurer Violations to pre-suit investigations and coverage evaluations, to Declaratory Judgment and Bad Faith litigation. In particular, Michael defends property insurers throughout Florida in first party coverage matters, where he responds to claims for windstorm; sinkhole; fire; mold; theft; and water losses. Michael's group also conducts examinations under oath and SIU investigations.
In both the state and federal court, Michael has participated in a number of bench and jury trials through verdict, all of which resulted in either a defense verdict or a verdict which was less than the amount demanded. In addition, Michael is often asked to serve as bad faith counsel in third party actions, including monitoring the defense of the litigation, as well as trial.
Michael has substantial experience in alternative dispute resolution, having represented clients in a number of mediation, neutral evaluations and arbitration proceedings. Michael routinely advises clients on the evaluation and resolution of multi-claimant matters, often times where the injuries and damages exceed the available policy limits.
Over the past two years Michael has participated as a panelist at Chinese Drywall conferences, specifically addressing coverage issues under first party property and third party liability policies. He has also presented a number of seminars on auto negligence, uninsured motorist and bad faith claims. Michael frequently travels around the country to provide in-house claims seminars with claims professionals. In addition, he has lectured on defending first party property damage claims including sinkhole and mold claims, which included review and analysis of claims handling procedures, as well as recommendations for the same.
In 1994 Michael earned his Bachelor of Arts from the State University of New York at Albany. Subsequently, Michael obtained his juris doctor in 1997 from the University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, where he graduated cum laude.
• Insurance Coverage and Bad-Faith Insurance Issues Under Florida Law, Marshall Dennehey Florida Claims Symposium - The Best Defense is a Good Offense, Orlando, FL, September 17, 2014
• Protecting Your Clients' Interest During Settlement, WIND Conference, 2013
• American Conference Institute Bad Faith Litigation Conference (co-chairperson and lecturer) 2012
• American Conference Institute Bad Faith Litigation Conference (lecturer) 2011
Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
• Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide (2013)
• South Florida Legal Guide - Top Lawyers in Insurance Litigation, 2014
• Top Up and Comer, Trend's Florida Legal Elite (2012)
Year Joined Organization: 2007