Michael Van Loy is a Member in the Intellectual Property Section. His practice focuses on all aspects of IP portfolio strategy development including drafting and prosecution of patent and trademark applications; preparation of patentability, infringement, and validity opinions; litigation preparation and support; licensing negotiations; and other monetization approaches.
Michael drafts and prosecutes patents and advises clients on IP issues in a wide range of technical fields, including motor vehicle engines and braking systems, chemical and environmental sensing and analysis, alternative energy sources and storage, emissions controls and remediation technologies for air and water, semiconductor design and production, batteries, wired and wireless telecommunications, e-commerce, satellite-guided navigation, software and database development and management, medical devices, pharmaceutical formulation and targeted delivery mechanisms, video compression, and optical coatings.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Michael worked as a patent agent for more than five years, first at a national intellectual property law firm in the Silicon Valley and then at a Palo Alto incubator venture fund, where he advised on intellectual property portfolio development strategies and provided in-house patent preparation and prosecution services for a group of seed-stage start-up companies focused on high-tech and chemical analysis. Prior to beginning his legal career, Michael was an environmental research scientist/project manager at a research institute in Palo Alto, where he co-managed and published the results of a large-scale, multidisciplinary study of the effects of air pollution on human health in an urban airshed.
• Mintz Levin Elevates Eight Attorneys to Members of the Firm , (05.13.2014)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro Suarez and Michael Van Loy to Present at Stanford University , (01.29.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Michael Van Loy Selected as Vice Chair Of San Diego MIT Enterprise Forum , (07.21.2011)
•Co-author, USPTO Expands Green Technology Pilot Program to Cover More Inventions , Energy & Clean Technology Intellectual Property Alert (06.04.2010)
•Author, Intellectual Property: Maximizing Returns on your IP Investment, San Diego Daily Transcript (01.31.2008)
• Speaker, How Does the New Patent Law Affect You? , Stanford University, Stanford, CA (01.31.2013)
• Chair, All Meat, No Bun: Tips for a Lean, Mean, Start Up Machine, MIT Enterprise Forum , San Diego, CA (01.09.2013) (Also at San Diego Office)