Michael J. Bonner concentrates his practice in the areas of corporation finance, corporate governance, business transactions, securities and gaming.
Michael represents clients in corporate securities and other business transactions, including acting as lead counsel on initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, private placements and a variety of financing, acquisition and restructuring transactions for publicly held and privately held business entities. He counsels publicly held companies on disclosure obligations under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including the preparation of annual reports to stockholders, proxy statements, and annual and quarterly periodic reports to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Michael acts as outside counsel to boards of directors and special committees of boards of directors of publicly held and privately held entities. He acts as counsel to purchasers and sellers in merger and acquisition, asset purchase and sale, roll-ups and other acquisition-related transactions.
Michael represents publicly held and privately held hotel-casino resort operators, manufacturers, suppliers, lenders and officers, directors, and key employees in transactional, licensing and other approvals before the Nevada State Gaming Control Board and the Nevada Gaming Commission.
As the former Chairman of the Corporation's Sub-Committee of the State Bar of Nevada Business Law Committee, he assisted in the drafting and implementation of amendments to the Nevada corporation statutes; and participated in the complete review and revision of the Nevada corporation and business entity statutes in 1991.
Areas of Concentration
· Corporation finance
· Corporate governance
· Business transactions
· Gaming regulatory
Professional & Community Involvement
· Chairman, Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce, Board of Trustees, 2011
· Executive Committee Member and Board of Trustees, Nevada Development Authority (NDA)
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, International Association of Gaming Advisors
· Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Executive Committee Member, Gaming Law Section
- Former Chairman, Business Law Committee, Corporations Sub-Committee
- Former Vice-Chairman, Southern Nevada Disciplinary Board
· Member, Young Presidents' Organization/ World Presidents' Organization
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; Gaming Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2008-2014
- Listed, "Las Vegas Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year," 2012
· Listed, VEGAS INC, "Top Lawyers," Corporate and Securities, 2013
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Nevada Business magazine, "Legal Elite: The Silver State's Top Attorneys," 2009-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, M ountain States Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
- "Top 75 Lawyers in the Mountain States," 2011
· Listed, "Leading Individual" Corporate/M&A, Gaming and Licensing - Nevada, Chambers USA Guide, 2002-2013
· Recognized, Las Vegas Business Press, "Top 10 Business Lawyers in Las Vegas," 2009
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Acted as lead counsel to several gaming resort operators, gaming manufacturing and technology companies, and other companies in initial public offerings, follow on public offerings, and debt and equity private placements.
· Acted as outside counsel to public companies for annual, quarterly and periodic reporting obligations under federal securities laws.
· Acted as lead counsel on merger and acquisition transactions in gaming resort, gaming manufacturing and home building industries.
· Served as special committee counsel to independent committee of board of directors in going-private transaction.
· Served as special committee counsel in combination of related public companies.
· Acted as outside counsel to owner/operators of nightclub and restaurant operations.
· Acted as lead regulatory counsel for Nevada gaming licensing and transactional approvals for major hotel-casino owners and operators, gaming manufacturing companies and gaming technology companies.
· Acted as gaming regulatory counsel to institutional investors in Nevada gaming regulatory approvals and waivers.
· Acted as gaming and corporate counsel in negotiation and approval of hotel-casino management agreements.
· Served as special Nevada corporate and gaming counsel in contested hostile takeover transaction.
· Served as special Nevada corporate and gaming counsel in restructuring transactions.
· Testified in May 2001 legislative hearings on enhancements to Nevada's corporate director liability statutes.
· Assisted in the drafting and review of amendments to Nevada gaming regulations concerning corporate takeover-related issues and limited liability company licensure.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Bonner prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publication s
· Panel Participant, "The Evolution of the Gaming Advisor: It's No Longer Just a Regulatory Focus," 31st Annual International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA) Conference, Las Vegas, NV, September 30-October 2, 2011
· Speaker, "Welcoming and Opening Remarks," Nevada Captive Insurance Association, 7thAnnual Captive Conference, Las Vegas, NV, September 12, 2011
· Panel Participant, "Navigating Financing," International Gaming Conference, International Association of Gaming Advisors/International Association of Gaming Regulators, October 11, 2010
· Panel Moderator, "2009 Nevada Law Changes and Technology Issues," Gaming Law Conference, State Bar of Nevada, November 6, 2009
· Panel Participant, "Fix it Right the First Time: Practical Consideration for Board Members of Financially and Operationally Stressed Companies," Los Angeles Business Conference: Growth Strategies - M&A - Finance, Association for Capital Growth, Los Angeles, CA, September 16, 2009
· Panel Moderator and Speaker, "SEC Hot Topics for Gaming Companies-2008," Gaming Law Conference, State Bar of Nevada, November 7, 2008
· Speaker, "Ethical Challenges for the Gaming Practitioner," Gaming Law Conference, State Bar of Nevada, November 3, 2006
· Speaker, "Current SEC Reporting Developments," National Gaming Conference, Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants, May 17, 2005
· Co-Moderator, "Gaming Mergers and Acquisitions: The Changing Landscape," Gaming Law Conference, State Bar of Nevada, November 5, 2004
· Speaker, "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act: One Year Later," Gaming Law Conference, State Bar of Nevada, November 7, 2003
· Speaker, "One Year Later: The Sarbanes-Oxley Act - Annual Reports and Proxy Statements," Merrill Corporation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 4, 2003
· Speaker, "Current Industry Accounting, Auditing and Reporting Issues," Financial Executives Gaming Forum, Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants, May 22, 2003
· Speaker, "SEC Update," National Gaming Conference, Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants, May 24, 2002
· Speaker, "Current Legal Topics Regarding Financial Disclosure for Public Companies," National Gaming Conference, Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants, May 17, 2001