Michael J. Grygiel focuses his practice on national media law with an emphasis on defending news and entertainment organizations from news-gathering and publication-related claims, including defamation, copyright infringement and invasion of privacy matters. He also represents media companies and other clients in complex Lanham Act, trade secret and Internet-related litigation and counseling.
Michael has served as lead trial counsel to media and other clients in bet-the-company litigation, including a nationally watched news aggregation copyright case and a trade libel action against a major medical device manufacturing company. He is experienced representing the press in a wide range of matters involving applications for access to civil and criminal court proceedings and records, and freedom of information law cases in both federal and state courts.
Prior to Michael's career in private practice, he was the Director of the Arthur Levitt Public Policy Center at Hamilton College, where his teaching concentrated on First Amendment and constitutional law.
Areas of Concentration
· Media and First Amendment law
· Defense of defamation actions
· Complex commercial litigation
· Digital rights management
· Copyright infringement - litigation and counseling
· Advertising and Lanham Act matters
· Invasion of privacy and news-gathering claims
· Trade secret litigation and counseling
· Internet litigation and counseling
· Reporter's and newsroom subpoenas
· Pre-publication review
· Litigation and counseling regarding social networks, blogs and user-generated content
· Anonymous/pseudonymous postings to news websites
· Right of publicity litigation and counseling
· "Hot news" misappropriation litigation and counseling
· Digital Millennium Copyright Act service-provider liability limitations
· Press and public access to court proceedings and judicial documents
· Freedom of Information Act litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Chair, New York State Bar Association, Media Law Committee
· Member, Albany County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Media Law, 2007-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Lead national counsel to and personally supervised legal matters for several media clients, including an industry-leading newspaper/website publishing company.
· Primary outside counsel to the New York News Publishers Association, Inc.
· Primary regional counsel to an international communications/entertainment company.
· Represented several national media companies and publications.
°Some of the above matters were handled by Mr. Grygiel prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
· Assistant General Counsel, University of Vermont in Burlington
· Director, Hamilton College, Arthur Levitt Public Policy
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Michael frequently presents to various media groups and professional associations on First Amendment issues.
· Co-Author, "Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts Holds that Rape Shield Law Does Not Preclude Public Access to Search Warrant Affidavit," MLRC Media Law Letter, September 2012