Michael focuses his practice on corporate restructuring, commercial bankruptcy, business counseling, and creditors' rights matters. As a Member in the firm's Business Restructuring Services Department, he represents businesses as debtors or creditors in various insolvency matters including chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, state-related insolvency proceedings, out-of-court workouts and restructurings and other commercial matters. Michael also has experience representing creditors' committees and liquidating trustees in various bankruptcy matters.
Michael's industry experience is wide-ranging and includes manufacturing, real estate, franchises, rental properties, plastics, energy, retail, automotive, healthcare, and insurance.
Cases / Matters
Chapter 11 Cases (Debtor)
• The Antioch Company, LLC - representing direct sale and scrap-booking company in chapter 11. (Bankr. D. Minn)
• Willard Rental Properties, LLP - represented a family-owned property management and home improvement company with 1,100 rental units in Northern Ohio in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of their businesses. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
• Duke and King Acquisition Corp. - represented franchisee of 92 Burger King® restaurants in a successful 363 asset sale and bankruptcy plan of liquidation. (Bankr. D. Minn.)
• CHA Hawaii, LLC - represented a Hawaiian hospital system in chapter 11 bankruptcy culminating in a plan of reorganization. (Bankr. D. Haw.)
• BPI Energy, Inc. - represented a producer of coal-bed methane gas in chapter 11 bankruptcy, including the sale of assets and confirmation of plan of liquidation. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
• The Antioch Company - served as co-counsel in representation of a direct sale scrap-booking company in a prepackaged chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. S.D. Ohio)
• CCI of West Palm, Inc. - represented multiple New York and Florida franchisees of TGI Friday's® casual dining restaurant operations in chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.)
• Hydraulic Technologies, Inc. - served as co-counsel of an Ohio-based supplier of hydraulic lifts in the sale of its operations in chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
• Union Stamping & Assembly, LLC - represented a West Virginia-based Tier I automotive parts manufacturer in a 363 asset sale and subsequent winddown of its business in chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. S.D. W.Va.)
• Risk Management Alternatives, Inc. - represented a group of national accounts receivable management services companies in the administration of their chapter 11 bankruptcies, including the sale of substantially all of their assets and confirmation of a plan of liquidation. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
• Tiro Industries - represented a Minneapolis-based manufacturer of private-label hair-care and beauty products in a 363 sale of all assets and assisted in the administration of its chapter 11 bankruptcy case. (Bankr. D. Del.)
• Summitville Tiles, Inc. - represented an Ohio family-owned manufacturer of ceramic tile in a chapter 11 bankruptcy culminating in a successful reorganization of the business. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
• Gliatech, Inc. - represented an Ohio-based biotechnology manufacturer and developer in chapter 11, which resulted in the payment in full of all secured and general unsecured creditors. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
Chapter 11 Cases (Creditors' Committee/Liquidating Trustee)
• Barzel Industries, Inc. - represented the official committee of unsecured creditors of a Massachusetts-based metal manufacturer in chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. D. Del.)
• Huffy Corp. - represented the official committee of unsecured creditors appointed in the chapter 11 reorganization of a leading distributor of bicycles and other wheeled products with over $220 million of revenue; and the subsequent representation of the post-confirmation liquidating trustee appointed to administer estate assets for the benefit of unsecured creditors. (Bankr. S.D. Ohio)
• DT Industries, Inc. - represented the liquidating trustee appointed to administer assets for the benefit of unsecured creditors of an assembly products manufacturer and automotive supplier with over $200 million of revenue. (Bankr. S.D. Ohio)
Out-of-Court Restructurings and Other Matters
• Representing subordinated secured leader in Chapter 11 case of Illinois franchisee of Applebee's® restaurants. (Bankr. E.D. Ky)
• Represented a trust mortgage trustee in the winddown and liquidation of an Ohio-based lumber company.
• Represented a thermoform and injection-molded plastics company in an out-of-court debt restructuring.
• Represented an Ohio-based company specializing in the rental and sales of concrete forming and shoring equipment in the winddown and liquidation of its business.
• Representing a regional insurance company as a creditor in a variety of chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
• Represented a Michigan-based telecommunications company in an Article 9 sale of its business lines.
• Turnaround Management Association
• American Bankruptcy Institute
• Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- Co-Chair of publicity subcommittee for the William J. O'Neill, Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute (2008, 2009 and 2011)
Awards and Honors
• Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2009-2013)
• "Big Brother of the Year" - Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland (2003)
• "Dean's Community Service Award" - Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2002-2003)
• "Student Leadership Award" - Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2002-2003)
• Family Promise of Greater Cleveland (Board of Directors)
• A Kid Again (Cleveland Chapter Advisory Board Member)
• Washington & Lee University Alumni-Admissions Program (Chairman, NE Ohio Region)
• St. Ignatius High School Alumni Association