Mike King responds to the legal needs of business clients confronted with actual and potential litigation controversies. In addition to trial work, Mike provides risk management counseling to clients. In a varied business practice, he has represented clients with respect to internal disputes involving corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships; contract interpretation; real estate; trademark infringement and unfair competition; creditors' rights; landlord rights; libel defense; and business torts (including RICO).
Mike also represents clients in disputes in fiduciary matters involving officers, directors, trustees and executors. Mike has appeared in cases in 26 states, and also has broad experience in appellate work, arbitration and mediation.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation
· Landlord and tenant
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Greater North Fulton Chamber of Commerce
· Sacristan and Building Committee, St. Brigid Catholic Church
· Commissioner, City of Alpharetta Recreation and Parks Commission, 2005-2010
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
· Listed, Georgia Trend magazine "Legal Elite," 2008-2012
· Team Member, a Law360 "Appellate Practice Group of the Year," 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Obtained a defense verdict directed by Court of Appeals in $28 million claim for tortious interference with contractual and business relations.
· Obtained a motion to dismiss $26 million claim for fraud and breach of contract regarding a television station acquisition.
· Obtained a summary judgment in $10 million action to imply post-closing duties into acquisition contract.
· Appeared in trial and appellate courts on constitutional questions involving First Amendment reporters' rights, due process under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments and Commerce Clause issues under Article I.
· Argued to the Eleventh Circuit sitting en banc that bankruptcy code requirements for filing involuntary cases are not subject matter jurisdictional.
· Prosecuted and obtained injunctive and permanent relief in cases involving infringement of gasoline retailer's trademarks.
· Obtained summary judgment in fraud case regarding multimillion-dollar management hospitality property, later affirmed by U.S. Court of Appeals.
· Obtained a summary judgment in defense of lender in wrongful foreclosure action.
· Obtained significant recovery on behalf of executor of estate against decedent's former business partner regarding use of partnership assets.
· Defended $9 million RICO claim involving a franchise internet service provider.
· Appeared in numerous employee non-compete and restrictive covenant cases.
· Represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous majority/minority shareholder, limited liability company and partnership disputes.
· Represented businesses in tortious interference with contractual relations cases.
· Obtained injunctive relief for restaurant chain to protect common law trade name.
· Represented numerous businesses to protect corporate trade secrets and confidential information.
· Represented buyers and sellers in transactional litigation, including post-closing adjustments, breach of warranties, recovery of earnest money and enforcement of confidentiality agreements.
· Defended television station affiliates in actions respecting network affiliation agreements.
· Represented corporations, shareholders and officers in fiduciary duty cases.
· Briefed appellate issues concerning application of key provision of Georgia Tort Reform Act sustaining dismissal of medical malpractice action.
· Briefed and presented oral argument in medical malpractice case before Court of Appeals upholding jury verdict in favor of doctor.
· In Re: Trusted Net Media Holdings, LLC v. The Morrison Agency, Inc., 550 F.3d 1035 (11th Cir. 2008)(en banc).
· Atlantech Inc. v. American Panel Corp., 540 F. Supp. 2d 274 (D. Mass. 2008).
· Carlisle v. Abend, 288 Ga. App. 150, 653 S.E.2d 388 (2007).
- Spacht v. Troyer, 288 Ga. App. 898, 655 S.E.2d 656 (2007).
- The Boeing Company v. Blane International Group, Inc., 276 Ga. App. 672, 624 S.E.2d 227 (2005).
- Belcher v. Bremer, 253 Ga. App. 745, 560 S.E.2d 324 (2002).
- Accolades Apartments, L.P. v. Fulton County, 274 Ga. 28, 549 S.E.2d 348 (2001).
- AGA, LLC v. Rubin, 243 Ga. App. 772, 533 S.E.2d 804 (2000).
- Aaron Rents, Inc. v. Fourteenth Street Venture, L.P., 243 Ga. App. 746, 533 S.E.2d 759 (2000).
- Birdsong v. Enforcer Products, Inc., 235 Ga. App. 132, 508 S.E.2d 769 (1998).
- Grand Partners Joint Venture I v. Realtax Resource, Inc., 225 Ga. App. 409, 483 S.E.2d 922 (1997).
- Warren v. The Health and Welfare Fund of the Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas, 752 F. Supp. 452 (M.D. Ga. 1990).
- Badische Corporation v. Caylor, 825 F.2d 399 (11th Cir. 1987).
- Badische Corporation v. Caylor, 257 Ga. 131, 356 S.E.2d 198 (1987).
- Brown v. Morris Real Estate Consultants, Inc., 256 Ga. 269, 347 S.E.2d 563 (1986).
- Edelschick v. Blanchard, 177 Ga. App. 410, 339 S.E.2d 628 (1985).
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "Trade Secrets Law Is Still Murky," Daily Report, May 14, 2013
· Co-Author, Residential and Commercial Evictions in Georgia, National Business Institute
· Author, "Imposition of Implied Terms and Duties Under Georgia Law," Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia
· Author, "Truth or Consequences: Fraud Liability in Contract Cases," Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia