Michael has been practicing law for over 35 years, of which the last 20 have been devoted to insurance defense litigation. He tries significant product liability cases where there is catastrophic damage and/or serious injury or death. Michael also defends doctors, dentists, hospitals, and their employees, as well as other professionals such as lawyers, in malpractice suits and claims brought against them. To date, Michael has tried over 300 cases to verdict.
Michael has also handled matters in trucking and transportation litigation. He is currently approved counsel for AIG Transport South and has tried multiple vehicle matters with two cases to verdict.
After serving in the United States Army Reserve, Michael began his law career as a prosecutor in Florida. For nine years he served as an assistant state attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida. Michael was later designated as a special assistant United States attorney where he handled the largest racketeering case ever tried in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
• Trial Testimony, Drug Enforcement Administration, 1976
• Current Trends In Evidence, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, 1980
• Cross-Examination, Florida Defense Lawyers, 1985
• Joint and Several Liability, Jacksonville Defense Lawyers, 1990
• Search and Seizure Law, University of North Florida, 1998
• Ethics Seminar for newly-admitted members of Florida Bar, 2008
Past Employment Positions
• Obringer, DeCandio & Oosting, P.A., Partner Assistant State Attorney, 1975 - 1983
• Hillsborough County, Florida, Special Assistant State Attorney, 1980 - 1981
• Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, 1983 - 1984
• Statewide Grand Jury, Legal Advisor, 1983 - Present
• U.S. Army Reserve, Captain, 1973 - 1974
Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
• American Board of Trial Advocacy, Certification, 2000
• Best Lawyers in America - 2014 Jacksonville Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants Lawyer of the Year. Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2008-Present
• Best Lawyers in America Jacksonville Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants Lawyer of the Year, 2013
Year Joined Organization: 2004