Michael L. Malone has a business and finance practice that focuses primarily on the representation of health care clients and institutions engaged in the issuance and administration of public debt offerings.
Mike represents hospitals, hospital districts, physicians, physician groups, physician practice management companies, and other health care industry clients in a variety of transactional matters. These include mergers and acquisitions, the development of hospitals and other facilities, leases, managed care contracting, physician/hospital contracts, antitrust and regulatory counseling, employment contracts, taxable and tax-exempt financing, formation and reorganization of business and professional organizations, including physician/hospital joint ventures, sale and acquisition of assets, insolvencies and workouts; and related information technology and real estate matters.
He also devotes a substantial portion of his time to the representation of corporate trustees and institutional investors in connection with the issuance and sale of securities, the administration of grantor royalty trusts and the administration of public debt financings, including in particular, default administrations. His work in default administration has included restructurings as well as liquidations, including foreclosures, receiverships, and bankruptcies.
Areas of Concentration
· Capital markets and securities
· Financial institutions litigation
· Health litigation
· Health public policy group practice
· Health transactions
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Public finance / municipal bonds
· Structured finance
· Texas regulatory
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Health Lawyers Association
· Member, State Bar of Texas
- Health Law Section
· Life fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 1991-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Health Care Law, Dallas, 2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2004 and 2011-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyer magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2004 and 2013
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2009-2010
· "Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers," Nightingale's Healthcare News, 2007
· "Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyers," Nightingale's Healthcare News, 2004-2005
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented hospitals, physicians and physician groups in the negotiation and drafting of professional service, management and other contracts.
· Represented hospitals, physician practice management companies, and physician groups in the purchase and sale of facilities and other assets.
· Advised institutions and individuals in the development of hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and other free-standing facilities.
· Advised hospitals and physician groups on the organization of joint ventures.
· Advised physicians and physician groups in the formation, reorganization, and expansion of group practices.
· Counseled health care provider organizations regarding applicability of antitrust "safety zones."
· Advised hospitals and provider groups in managed care recovery efforts.
· Represented trustees, issuers, and obligors in connection with the issuance of more than $1.5 billion of taxable or tax-exempt securities since 1996.
· Advised corporate trustees and institutional holders of debt in the default administration of securities in excess of $1.3 billion.
· Advised corporate trustees in the administration of publicly traded and privately held grantor royalty trusts.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Featured, "Q&A with Greenberg Traurig's Michael Malone," Law360, May 7, 2012
· Presenter, "Health Law: A Fraud and Abuse Overview For Sleep Medicine Professionals," 5th Annual TSSP Sleep Conference: Sleep is Bigger in Texas, October 26-27, 2012
· Speaker, "Health Law and Fraud & Abuse," A4M Medical Conference, Dallas Texas
· Speaker, "Accountable Care Organizations," Texas Medical Association Dinner Meeting, January 20, 2011
· Speaker, "Accountable Care Organizations," Medical Group Leadership Forum, July 22, 2010
· Speaker, "The Future of Healthcare Financing," North Texas Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives, April 2010
· Speaker and author on various topics relating to health industry clients