Michael O’Rourke is Of Counsel to the Bellevue, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia offices of Wong Fleming. Mr. O’Rourke is a seasoned litigator and has extensive experience in various areas of the law including bankruptcy, commercial, corporate, securities, immigration, construction, and real estate. Currently, Mr. O’Rourke maintains an active commercial litigation and immigration practice in Washington, Oregon, and Nevada. He has recently been called to the bar in the Canadian Province of Ontario where he also practices commercial and immigration law as a barrister and solicitor. Mr. O’Rourke’s practice has a decided international bent due to his business contacts in Canada, Southeast Asia, and Europe and his language skills in German, French, Dutch, and Portuguese. Mr. O’Rourke has represented Vivendi SA (France), Lichtwesen AG (Germany), McDonald’s Brasil (Brazil), and Everest World Co., Ltd. (Thailand) among global corporations in various litigation and corporate matters.
Prior to joining Wong Fleming, Mr. O’Rourke was the founder and Managing Partner of his own law firm in Seattle, Washington, wherein he concentrated his practice on bankruptcy and commercial litigation as well as immigration law.
• Published appellate decision affirming the existence of substantive due process rights in Washington.
• Prevailed at trial in a complex commercial case involving issues of breach of contract, embezzlement, apparent authority, negligent hiring, and fraud in Nevada.
• Prevailed at trial of a $15 million construction claim against the Venetian Casino in Las Vegas.
• Obtained a defense verdict for a casino chair manufacturer in a high damages products liability case in Nevada.
• Achieved a favorable settlement for a Las Vegas apartment building owner in light of $117 million habitability claims.
• Obtained Summary Judgment in favor of a tavern owner in a case of first impression in King County, Washington.
• Participated in the investigation of a multinational fast food company’s Brazilian subsidiary for bribery and corruption in response to allegations of violations of the Department of Justice Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
• Achieved a favorable result at the trial of a boundary line dispute case in Clark County, Washington.
• Successfully defended a client charged with novel criminal violations of Washington’s Shoreline Management Act environmental statute.
• Negotiated numerous consent decrees with the Department of Justice and Department of Housing and Urban Development for design professional clients accused of discrimination under the Fair Housing Act.
Professional Honors, Awards and Activities
• Awarded the Sparer Public Interest Law Fellowship
• Member, Washington State Bar Association
• Member, Oregon State Bar
• Member, State Bar of Nevada
• Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
• Board Member, QLaw Foundation of the GLBT Bar Association of Washington
• Volunteer Attorney, GLBT Legal Clinic, Seattle, Washington
• Supervising Attorney, University of Washington School of Law, Immigrant Families Advocacy Project
• Pro Bono Attorney, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
• Member, Canada-America Society
• Member, Canadian Bar Association Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Conference
• “Pattern Jury Instructions” (State Bar of Nevada, Construction Defect Chapter, 2010)