Michael S. Richards is a partner specializing in employment and labour law in Toronto. Michael was called to the bar in both Ontario and British Columbia and has represented clients before various levels of courts in both provinces, before administrative tribunals, at arbitrations, in mediation and at other negotiations, including collective bargaining.
After graduating from the University of Toronto , Michael returned to British Columbia where he was the law clerk to Madam Justice Jo-Ann Prowse of the British Columbia Court of Appeal . Michael articled in the Vancouver office of Davis LLP and was called to the British Columbia Bar before transferring to the Toronto office where he has practised since early 2001.
Michael's practice in employment and labour law includes providing advice to both national and international organizations on a daily basis and representing clients with respect to various labour and employment issues including:
• The recruitment, hiring and termination of employees.
• Providing advice with respect to group terminations and business closures.
• The successful and cost effective defence of wrongful dismissal claims, grievance and human right complaints.
• The preparation of employment, consulting and independent contractor agreements including the provision of advice with respect to the enforceability of non-solicitation, non-competition and confidentiality agreements.
• The negotiation and interpretation of collective agreements.
• The interpretation and application of employment standards legislation, workplace safety and insurance legislation, occupational health and safety, and human rights legislation.
Finally, Michael's practice also includes privacy law and advising businesses in Ontario with respect to their obligations under privacy legislation, including performing privacy audits and assisting clients in the development of privacy policies compliant with applicable legislation.
Michael has been with Davis LLP since 1998.
• Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 in Canada, 2013
• Lexpert's Litigation Lawyers to Watch, 2011
• Member, Law Society of British Columbia
• Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
• Member, Canadian Bar Association
• Member, Ontario Bar Association
• Member, British Columbia Bar Association
• Member, Advocates Society
• Mike is actively committed to the arts, providing pro-bono advice to not-for-profit arts organizations. In addition, Mike has served on the board of directors of Danny Grossman Dance Company since early 2004 and was elected chair in 2006. Mike's involvement with the company comes at a critical time as the company seeks to preserve the work of its namesake, both legally and practically, to ensure preservation of his art.
In the Media
• Michael Richards Named Lexpert Rising Star November 4, 2013 Davis LLP is pleased to congratulate Michael Richards, a partner...
• Four Davis Lawyers Ranked in 2011 Lexpert's U.S... January 3, 2012 Davis LLP is pleased to announce that Larry Robinson, QC (Insolvency...
• Davis Team Advises VisualSonics in Sale to SonoSite... August 3, 2010 A team of advisors from Davis LLP was instrumental in the recent...
• Mike Richard to participate in upcoming employment... July 16, 2010 Davis partner Mike Richards will be participating in an upcoming...
• Mike Richards Comments on Toronto Mayor's Deal with... August 5, 2009 The City of Toronto and union workers have reached an agreement...
• Ontario Employers Covered by New Child Pornography... March 10, 2009 Ontario has introduced a new law that will impose a positive...
• Information Privacy and Data Protection November 27, 2014 On November 27, 2014, Lexpert will be hosting Information Privacy and Data Protection, a full-day course designed for
• Does Your Organization Have an AODA Compliance Strategy? October 28, 2014 With the compliance deadlines for the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) quickly approaching,
• Toronto Employment & Labour Law Conference 2014 May 9, 2014 Davis LLP was pleased to host the popular annual Toronto Employment & Labour Law Conference on Friday, May 9, 2014
• Workplace Investigations and Union Avoidance January 28, 2014 The Davis LLP Employment & Labour Law Group is pleased to host a client seminar on two popular topics: workplace
• Internal Investigations Forum June 17, 2013 Davis LLP is proud to sponsor Insight's Internal Investigations Forum, taking place June 17-18 in Toronto. Tudor
• Montreal Employment & Labour Law Conference 2013 May 22, 2013 Davis LLP is delighted to be hosting the complimentary Employment & Labour Law Conference at the Fairmont The Queen
(Also at Vancouver, BC, Canada Office)