|Mailing Address||Suite 5300, TD Bank Tower, Toronto Dominion Centre, Toronto, ON, M5K 1E6|
|University ||McMaster University, B.A., English, Honours, 1997|
|Law School||Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 2000|
|Admitted||2001, Alberta; 2002, Ontario|
|Memberships ||Canadian Bar Association (Member, Competition Law Section). |
Michele Siu is counsel in our Competition Law Group in Toronto.
Her practice focuses on advising clients on various aspects of Canadian competition law, including analyzing the competitive implications of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances and the preparation of pre-merger filings under the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act, providing advice in respect of the Competition Act's reviewable practice and criminal offence provisions and assessing and developing competition law compliance programs. In addition, her practice involves advising on matters in connection with competition law investigations by the Competition Bureau and Department of Justice and in criminal and civil litigation before the courts and Competition Tribunal.
Some significant matters in which Ms. Siu has been involved include:'
· Acting for Pension members of Maple Group in acquisition of TSX;
· Acting for BCE in acquisition of the CTV television network;
· Acting for Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd. in acquisition of Waste Services Inc.;
· Acting for Anglo American in acquisition of De Beers;
· Acting for Rio Tinto in acquisition of Ivanhoe Mines;
· Acting for Impark in sale to Teachers Pension Fund;
· Acting for Bilfinger Berger in sale of P3 projects;
· Acting for General Mills in purchase of Yoplait;
· Acting for Anglo American in sale of Moly-Corp;
· Acting for Unilever in acquisition of Alberto-Culver;
· Acting for the Commissioner of Competition in Suncor merger with Petro-Canada;
· Acting for Avaya Inc. in acquisition of Nortel's enterprise communications business;
· Acting for Pepsi in acquisition of Pepsi Bottling Group;
· Acting for the Fairmont Raffles hotel company in connection with 40% investment by Voyageur Partners and strategic alliance with Qatari Diar;
· Acting for Rio Tinto in relation to BHP bid;
· Acting for AMD in disposition of its consumer electronic businesses;
· Acting for Rio Tinto in acquisition of Alcan;
· Acting for Diageo in acquisition of the Schenley Valley Distillery;
· Acquisition of Four Seasons;
· Merger of Statoil ASA and Hydro ASA; and '
· Sale of Stelco Inc.
Ms. Siu has been a member of the organizing committee for the CBA's Annual Fall Conference on Competition Law and the Canadian Bar Association (Competition Law Section). She is also co-author of a number of publications, including the Canada chapter of the Foreign Investment Review 2012, part of Law Business Research's Getting The Deal Through series, and the Canadian Merger Notification Chapter of GCR's Antitrust Review of the Americas 2013.
She received her BA (Honours, English) in 1997 from McMaster University and her LLB in 2000 from Osgoode Hall Law School. Ms. Siu was called to the Alberta bar in 2001 and the Ontario bar in 2002.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Is “Net Benefit” to Canada different for State-Owned Enterprise Investments?
Oliver J. Borgers,Michele F. Siu, August 6, 2014
Investments in Canadian businesses by foreign state-owned enterprises (“SOE”) may receive greater scrutiny than investments by non-state owned enterprises. The Canadian government has made it clear that investments by SOEs will be assessed differently than other investments under...
Competition Bureau Releases Draft Price Maintenance Guidelines
Oliver J. Borgers,Michele F. Siu, April 4, 2014
On March 20, 2014, the Bureau released draft guidelines on its enforcement approach to price maintenance for public consultation. Price maintenance (section 76 of the Competition Act) includes the practise of a supplier setting a minimum advertised or resale price of its product. In 2009,...
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,518 in weekly profile views out of 17,032 lawyers in Toronto, Ontario|
|#149,597 in weekly profile views out of 1,515,714 total lawyers Overall|