Michelle is an associate in the Yellowknife office practicing in the area of Labour & Employment. Michelle acts for a variety of clients on labour and employment matters, including municipalities, territorial governments, charities and not-for-profit organizations, small businesses and larger corporate clients.
Labour & Employment
Michelle acts for a variety of clients on labour and employment matters, including municipalities, territorial governments, charities and not-for-profit organizations, small businesses and larger corporate clients in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Michelle assists employers with all aspects of managing a unionized workplace, including, dealing with certification applications, representing employers in collective bargaining negotiations, providing advice on collective agreement interpretation, assisting employers through the grievance process and representing employers in grievance arbitrations. Michelle also works with employers in non-unionized environments, advising on employment agreements, employee terminations, wrongful dismissal actions, employment standards matters and human rights matters.
Michelle has represented employers in a number of hearings, including human rights hearings, as well as appeal hearings and judicial review hearings in both the Nunavut Court of Justice and the Northwest Territories Supreme Court. Michelle also frequently conducts independent workplace harassment investigations and other independent investigations for employers.
Publications & Presentations
• Supreme Court Rules on Employee Suspensions and Constructive Dismissal, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2015
• Receipt of Pension Benefits Does Not Reduce Damages for Wrongful Dismissal, McLennan Ross Email Alert, 2013
• $408, 930 Payment Order Against Director Upheld, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel, June 2013
• 2015 Labour & Employment Year in Review Seminar, McLennan Ross, 2016
• Employment 101 for Northern Employers, McLennan Ross, 2015
• Northern Territories 2014 Employment Law Year in Review, McLennan Ross, 2015
• The Grievance & Arbitration Process, McLennan Ross, 2014
• Northern Territories 2013 Employment Law Year in Review, McLennan Ross, 2014
• Privacy Law for Northern Employers, McLennan Ross, 2013
• Administration of a Collective Agreement, McLennan Ross, 2013
• Northern Territories 2012 Employment Law Year in Review, McLennan Ross, 2013
Additionally, Michelle has taught courses in Aboriginal Law at the University of Ottawa.