|University ||University of Ottawa, B.Soc.Sc., summa cum laude|
|Law School||University of Ottawa, J.D. Student Internship, Occupational Health and Safety Tribunal Canada|
|Admitted||2012, Ontario; 2013, Northwest Territories|
Michelle is an associate in the Yellowknife office practicing in the area of Labour & Employment. She was called to the Ontario Bar in 2012 after obtaining her Juris Doctor from the University of Ottawa in 2011.
Community and Volunteer Activities
· Director, Canadians for Choice
· Established the University of Ottawa branch of the Law Union of Ontario
· Former Director, John Howard Society of Ontario
· Worked as a student at the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic delivering community legal education
· Michelle represents and advises employers and employees concerning a variety of labour & employment issues, such as termination, discipline, human rights and employment standards.
· Michelle defends wrongful dismissal actions on behalf of employers and prosecutes such actions on behalf of employees.
· She reviews and provides advice to employees on employment contracts, specific employment terms and severance agreements.
· Frequently, Michelle assists employers with complex calculations to determine amounts owing for termination pay, severance pay and unpaid wages over multiple years.
· Michelle has taught courses in Aboriginal Law and Criminology at the University of Ottawa
· Michelle has developed and delivered education presentations to groups of youth and adults on legal issues including criminal law, human rights and employment law
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Receipt of Pension Benefits does not Reduce Damages for Wrongful Dismissal
Michelle S. Thériault, January 3, 2014
On Friday December 13, 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada released its decision in IBM Canada Limited v. Waterman, relating to whether damages awarded to an employee for wrongful dismissal should be reduced if the employee receives pension benefits as a result of the dismissal. The majority of the...
|Profile Visibility |
|#12 in weekly profile views out of 100 lawyers in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories|
|#125,167 in weekly profile views out of 1,511,893 total lawyers Overall|