Practice/Industry Group Overview
Mintz Levin has one of the preeminent consumer product safety practice groups in the nation. Our team of consumer product safety attorneys has been at the forefront of this rapidly expanding practice area, and has extensive capabilities and first-hand experience with laws and regulations administered by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP). In addition, we are involved with evolving retailer, state, EU, and Canadian requirements. The Mintz Levin team presently advises trade associations and manufacturers of toy, juvenile, craft, appliance, and apparel products, as well as retailers, importers, and testing labs, on these laws and regulations, especially the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).
Charles Samuels, who leads our Consumer Product Safety Practice Group, has over 30 years of experience in advising clients in the product safety arena and is one of the most seasoned and respected consumer product safety attorneys in the country. He represents trade associations (including the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers), retailers, importers, and manufacturers before the CPSC and the Congress. The team also includes three associates who provide regular assistance on CPSC matters. As a group, we have a spectrum of experience to provide unsurpassed and cost-effective legal advice and representation.
The Mintz Levin team brings a comprehensive, useful, and pragmatic approach to advocacy, providing clients with timely information and critical analysis regarding developments in federal and state product safety legislation, regulations, and enforcement trends. We work closely with the commissioners and senior staff of the CPSC on a variety of regulatory and policy issues. We have recently advised and assisted clients in these areas, among others:
- Reviewing and classifying client products and product lines
- Assessing safety monitoring and response policies and procedures
- Counseling as to what constitutes children’s products, which standards apply to which products, and what type of testing for both children’s and non-children’s products is advisable
- Providing guidance on tightening controls over the supply chain, particularly for imports, and more effective controls and evaluations of safety-related incidents, complaints, and information flow
- Submitting comments on the Commission’s proposed rules
- Counseling and representation in recall discussions and negotiations with the CPSC and assisting in the development of corrective action (recall) plans
- Advocating before the Commission and Congress on policy objectives for clients
- Lobbying Congress on CPSIA reform initiatives
The legal professionals at Mintz Levin stand ready to assist your company or association with regard to all aspects of your product safety compliance needs.