Practice/Industry Group Overview
We have extensive expertise in providing legal, strategic and management support to local, regional and national educational institutions. Our clients include associations, public and independent institutions of higher education, independent secondary schools, teaching hospitals, educational funding agencies, and companies that manufacture or distribute educational products.
Among our areas of expertise for educational institutions are:
- performing financing and bond work, both as lender and borrower counsel,
- advising boards of trustees with regard to leadership and board/president matters,
- providing legal advice to boards of trustees and executive officers regarding ethics, compensation and executive liability,
- representing university faculty and institutes on patent and other intellectual property work,
- dealing with environmental issues in both litigation and cooperative venues,
- assisting in accessing funding through Federal sources,
- providing advice on the development and implementation of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) compliance-oriented initiatives and regulatory reinvention projects, and
- providing immigration services for doctors, faculty members, librarians, technicians and recent graduates.
Working Experience in the Industry
The president and CEO of ML Strategies currently serves on the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education and one of our attorneys previously served as special assistant to the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. We understand the business issues that institutions of higher education face and how to help our clients address them.
Funding Important Projects
We have helped both public and independent colleges and universities obtain federal funding for important educational projects. We represent institutions of higher education before Congress and before Executive Branch agencies such as the U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Commerce, USAID, and the National Science Foundation.
Innovations in Financing
Mintz Levin helped create the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority (MEFA) and its innovative programs and has served as advisor, bond counsel and general counsel since its inception in 1981. We also have served as bond counsel or underwriter's counsel to the New England Education Loan Marketing Corporation (Nellie Mae) since its inception at approximately the same time as MEFA's.
Educational Products and Service Providers
For companies that serve the education industry, such as manufacturers or distributors of educational materials, we handle a cross-section of corporate and financial transactions, employment counseling, litigation and intellectual property services, including the procurement and protection of copyrighted materials. Mintz Levin's copyright attorneys have developed a particular area of expertise in protecting materials distributed via sophisticated, cutting-edge vehicles such as the Internet, satellite and cable.