- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Corporate & Securities
- Mergers & Acquisitions
|Contact Info||Telephone: 202.331.3152|
|University ||Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., Governmnent|
|Law School||The George Washington University Law School, J.D.|
|Admitted||1973, Maryland; 1975, District of Columbia; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland; Supreme Court of the United States|
|Memberships ||Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.; District of Columbia Bar; American Bar Association (Chairman, Ratemaking Committee, Administrative Law and Agency Practice Section); Federal Communications Bar Association (Co-Chairman: Common Carrier Practice Committee; State and Local Practice Committee). |
|Born||Washington, D.C., July 29, 1948|
Rick Brecher focuses his practice on telecommunications and media law and regulation. He has practiced before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), other federal departments and agencies, state regulatory commissions, and trial and appellate courts. Rick has also provided legislative counsel on telecommunications matters. He represents clients in telecommunications transactional matters and provides business counseling and contract assistance to telecommunications and media clients.
Areas of Concentration
· The Telecommunications Act of 1996
· The World Trade Organization (WTO) agreement on basic telecommunications services
· Access to multitenant environments
· Administrative and regulatory practice
· Alternative dispute resolution
· Broadcast licensing and regulation, including digital television
· Broadband policy
· Cable television regulation, including program access, must carry and retransmission consent
· Commercial transactions involving telecommunications and media companies
· Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI), pretexting and other privacy issues
· Domestic and international laws, regulations and policies
· E911 compliance
· FCC enforcement and investigations
· Interexchange services
· Internet services
· IP-enabled services, including Voice over the Internet Protocol (VoIP) services
· Intercarrier litigation
· Judicial and administrative litigation
· Licensing of telecommunications carriers
· Local franchising
· Local telecommunications service competition
· Multichannel Video Programming Distribution (MVPD)
· Regulatory forbearance
· Rulemaking and inquiry proceedings
· Rural telecommunications investment, build-out and regulation
· Satellite licensing, operations and transactions
· Spectrum allocation and licensing
· State regulatory practice
· Tariffs and rates
· Telecommunications taxation and regulatory fee issues
· Telecommunications service agreements
· Telemarketing, Do-not-call, and "Junk Fax" laws and regulations
· Universal service and intercarrier compensation
· Utility certification
· Wireless telecommunications
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
- Chairman, Ratemaking Committee, Section of Administrative Law and Agency Practice
· Member, District of Columbia Bar
· Member, Federal Communications Bar Association
- Co-Chairman, Common Carrier Practice Committee
- Co-Chairman, State and Local Practice Committee, Federal Communications Bar Association
· Member, Maryland State Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented a major competitive local exchange carrier before federal, state and local authorities in its acquisition of the assets of another carrier pursuant to a bankruptcy court sale order.
· Represented PCS carrier before FCC in assignment and transfer of licenses.
· Represented major U.S. satellite operator from its inception, including obtainment of licenses and orbital locations, as well as other regulatory and contractual matters.
· Counsel of record for the Association for Local Telecommunications Services (ALTS) in the Supreme Court appeal of the FCC's Local Competition Proceeding (AT&T Corporation et al v. Iowa Utilities Board).
· Counsel for company in FCC proceeding approving International Callback Services.
· Represented clients in proceedings at federal and state levels involving implementation of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. This has included such matters as local competition and interconnection, universal service, access pricing, rate integration, reciprocal compensation and regulatory reform.
· Counseled and represented clients on contract and business matters and has represented clients in negotiations with Bell Operating Companies, satellite companies and other telecommunications vendors.
· Represented commercial and residential property developers in negotiating telecommunications, video and Internet service agreements.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Rick has published numerous articles in telecommunications trade publications, including Phone+ magazine, Public Communications and Communications Week. He has also been a speaker at numerous seminars and conferences throughout the world.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#4,983 in weekly profile views out of 56,660 lawyers in Washington, District of Columbia|
|#251,415 in weekly profile views out of 1,505,564 total lawyers Overall|