Monica Baumann generally represents clients in government enforcement actions and business litigation, including labor and employment matters ranging from discrimination to wage, hour and benefit claims. She has represented employers in single-plaintiff matters and prepared motions in support of class action defense. She has represented numerous businesses to protect their entitlements to permits and licenses as well as defend them against penalties and other sanctions. She has defended clients in litigation against the California Attorney General's Office and in administrative proceedings before the California Air Resources Board, Department of Healthcare Services, Department of Fish and Game, California Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, State Water Resources Control Board, and the Department of Fair Employment and Housing. Her subject matter experience before state and local agencies includes water, land use, and mining law. She has also advised several public agencies regarding program compliance.
Areas of Concentration
· Labor and employment
· Class action
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Greater Sacramento Kiwanis Club
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Sacramento Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Represented transportation company in large-scale wage and hour class action, including removing case to federal court.
· Prepared opening and closing briefs for trial in defense of a single-plaintiff action for negligence against a medical services client.
· Prevented disciplinary action by the California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors against the client based on a customer complaint. Performed the legal research and drafted the responses to board inquiries. °
· Obtained a rush approval for temporary rights to divert water, coordinating between the regulatory processes of the State Water Resources Control Board and the Department of Fish and Game.°
· Drafted a memorandum for a state agency to the governor's office in support of a controversial land use project. °
· Represented private and public clients in water and land use matters.°
· Counseled clients on complex environmental issues and public agency law.°
· Prepared motions in support of California Environmental Quality Act litigation.°
° The above representations were handled by Ms. Baumann prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
· Associate, Sacramento law firm, California, Fall 2008-Summer 2010
· Research Assistant, Office of Professor Lisa Pruitt, University of California at Davis School of Law, Davis, California, March 2007-May 2009
· Teaching Assistant, University of California at Davis School of Law, Davis, California, Fall 2007-Spring 2008
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "California Revises Its New Commission Contract Requirement," GT L&E Blog, November 15, 2012
· Co-Author, "ZIPing Towards Litigation - Has the California Supreme Court's Newest Decision Opened the Floodgates?" GT Alert, February 2011
· Co-Author, "Best Brief for the United States of America," 26 Pace Envtl. L. Rev. 655, Pace University Law School National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition, 2009
· Speaker, "Labor & Employment Update," A CAPA-tol Idea: Invest in Yourself, 23rd Annual CAPA Educational Conference, Sacramento, CA, June, 23, 2012