Nancy A. Peterman is Chair of the Chicago Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice. She focuses her practice on corporate restructurings, bankruptcy and creditors' rights law, and has a wide range of experience representing debtors, purchasers of assets, committees and secured creditors.
Areas of Concentration
· Business restructurings
· Creditor rights
· Debtor rights
· Health law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, HFS Chicago Scholars
· Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- Former Co-Chair, High Tech and Telecom Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Committee on Health Care Insolvency
· Former Chair, Chicago Bar Association's Bankruptcy & Reorganization Committee
· Former President and Former Board Member, Women's Health Executive Network
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2007-2013
· Selected, "Restructuring Lawyer of the Year - Middle Markets," Global M&A Network's Turnaround Atlas Awards, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Global M&A Network's Turnaround Atlas Award, "Insolvency Deal of the Year - Middle Markets," for the Chapter 11 restructuring of ShengdaTech, Inc., 2013
· Member, Winning Team, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2006-2013
- Among the Top 100 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois, 2010, 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2013
- Among the Top 50 Female Lawyers in Illinois, 2005, 2007, 2009-2013
· Member, Winning Team, Global M&A Network's 2012 Turnaround Atlas Award for "Private Equity Turnaround of the Year" for the Chapter 11 reorganization and acquisition of American Laser Skincare LLC
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2011-2012
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, National - Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2006-2013
· Board Certified Business Bankruptcy Lawyer, American Board of Certification
· American College of Bankruptcy (fellow)
· Represented ShengdaTech, Inc., a manufacturer of a specialty additive known as nano-precipitated calcium carbonate, in its Chapter 11 case. The company was created through a reverse merger of five Chinese manufacturing companies into a U.S. public company shell.
· Represented Bellus ALC Investments 1 in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of American Laser Centers, a laser hair removal clinic with more than 100 locations across the United States, and the subsequent Chapter 11 case of American Laser Centers, resulting in Bellus' acquisition of the ALC business in a sale pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
· Represented Barclays Bank PLC as Agent and a Steering Committee of Secured Lenders under a First Lien Credit Agreement in the Chapter 11 cases of LandSource Communities Development LLC. More than $1.2 billion in debt was restructured and $280 million of new capital was raised in connection with this reorganization which was implemented through a plan proposed and implemented by Barclays Bank PLC, as Agent.
· Represented William Yung and Tropicana Casinos & Resorts, Inc., the 100 percent equity holders of Tropicana Entertainment, LLC, in its Chapter 11 case pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware involving the restructuring of more than $2 billion in debt.
· Represented Wickes Furniture Company, Inc., a Chicago-based retail furniture company, in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
· Counsel to Mestek, Inc. in the Chapter 11 case of its second tier subsidiary, Met-Coil Systems, LLC. As part of this Chapter 11 case, millions of dollars of alleged toxic tort liability was settled.
· Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and Post-Consummation Trust in the Conseco Finance Company Chapter 11 cases.
· Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors' Committee in FPA Medical Management, Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware, the nation's largest physician practice management Chapter 11 case, involving 7900 physicians and 1.4 million HMO enrollees in 29 states. The bankruptcy case concluded with a confirmed plan of reorganization allowing for the sale of the companies after nearly one year of negotiations.
· Represented Schutt Sports, Inc., et al. in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of ethanol producer Renew Energy LLC.
· Represented PPM Technologies, Inc. in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
· Represented a consortium that bid on the right to serve as the equity sponsor for the Extended Stay Hotels, Inc. plan of reorganization.
· Assisted in drafting the health care bankruptcy provisions of Public Law No. 109-8 (the 2005 amendments to the Bankruptcy Code), which was signed into law by President Bush in 2005.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Debtor-In-Possession Financing in US Bankruptcy Cases," International Corporate Rescue, Volume 10, Issue 2, 2013
· Co-Author, "Investing in China: What Every Investor Must Know," The Bankruptcy Strategist, February 2013
· Co-Author, "Section 506," Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, 2005-2013 editions
· Co-Author, "Highest Dollar Bid Not Always the Best," New York Law Journal, June 27, 2011
· Co-Author, "In Such a Regulated Industry, Why So Much Fraud and Financial Impropriety?"ABI Healthcare Committee Newsletter, April 2011
· Co-Author, "Section 506-Secured Creditors' Claims" Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, 2010
· Co-Author, "Restructuring Challenges of Tax Exempt Bond Financing" American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, December 2010/January 2011
· Co-Author, "When Your Health-Care Facility Is Dead On Arrival," DBR Small Cap, September 15, 2010
· Co-Author, "Continuing-Care Retirement Facilities: Are Residents' Deposits Recoverable?"American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, May 2010
· Co-Author, "Shaking the Tree: Using Negative Notice to Prime Mechanics," DBR Small Cap, May 26, 2010
· Roundtable Participant, "Prospects For Restructuring in the U.S. Healthcare Sector," Financier Worldwide Magazine, February 2010
· Co-Author, "Healthcare Industry Not Immune to Economic Realities," The Journal of Corporate Renewal, November/December 2009
· Co-Author, "Healthcare Bankruptcy Cases: The Medical Malpractice Claim Dilemma,"American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, October 2009
· Co-Author "The Turnaround Operator's Perspective... Facing the Challenges & Opportunities in Today's Healthcare Industry," ABF Journal, July/August 2009
· Co-Author, "The Challenges and Opportunities in Today's Healthcare Industry: The Turnaround Operator's Perspective," ABI Committee News, July 2009
· Co-Author, "Challenges Facing Financially Troubled Health-Care Businesses," Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review, June 24, 2009
· Contributing Author, ABI Health Care Insolvency Manual, Third Edition, June 2012
· Assistant Editor, West's Norton Bankruptcy Law & Practice treatise
· Assistant Editor and Contributing Author, ABI Health Care Insolvency Manual, First Edition, December 1997
· Former Co-Editor in Chief, Wiley Bankruptcy Law Update
· Panelist, "Bankruptcy Litigation Updates in 2013," The Knowledge Congress Webinar, July 22, 2013
· Speaker, "Latest Developments: Restructuring and Turnaround Practices," Distressed M&A, Restructuring Intelligence Program, Global M&A Network, Chicago, IL, June 25, 2013
· Speaker, "Recent Trends in Valuation and Bankruptcy Litigation," West LegalEdcenter's Hot Topics in Bankruptcy Litigation Webcast, April 24, 2013
· Speaker, "The PCO (Patient Care Ombudsman) Revisited," ABA Business Law Section 2013 Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 4-6, 2013
· Speaker, "Investing in China: What Every Investor Must Know," Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago, IL, March 12, 2013
· Speaker, "The Road Ahead: Looking Forward to 2013," M&A Advisor Distressed Investing Summit, Palm Beach, FL, March 6, 2013
· Speaker, "American Bankruptcy Institute's 2012 Complex Financial Restructuring Program," Las Vegas, NV, September 13-14, 2012
· Panelist, "Labour Relations Issues on Restructuring - The New Deal?" ABI Canadian/American Cross-Border Insolvency Symposium, Toronto, Ontario, November 7, 2011
· Panelist, "Rainmaking: Business Development for the Next Generation," 2011 Annual TMA Convention, San Diego, CA, October 26, 2011
· Panelist, "How to Achieve a Successful Restructuring in Today's Changing Legal and Business Environment," 2011 Annual TMA Convention, San Diego, CA, October 26, 2011
· Moderator, "Four Truths About Lending," Turnaround Management Association Breakfast Forum, Chicago, IL, November 5, 2010
· Panelist, "Revisiting Chapter 11 Sale Strategies After Philadelphia Newspaper/Pacific Lumber," 84th Annual National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, New Orleans, LA, October 15, 2010
· Speaker, "Valuation Methodologies of Distressed Assets and Companies: A Legal Overview," ABI Inaugural Professional Development Program, Chicago, IL, May 28, 2009