Neil Abramson is a shareholder in the firm's New Orleans office. His practice includes the areas of toxic torts, class action litigation, insurance coverage and defense litigation, maritime personal injury, and products liability.
Since 2008, Mr. Abramson has served as the State Representative for the 98th District of Louisiana. Prior to his public service, he was an attorney with Phelps Dunbar and served as a judicial clerk for The Honorable Frank J. Polozola, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana.
Recent Representative Matters:
· Representation of numerous chemical manufacturing companies in defense of class action cases involving the release of various chemicals. These incidents generally result in thousands of individual claims for personal injury, property damage, business interruption, and inconvenience.
· Representation of domestic and foreign insurance companies in defense of Hurricane Katrina claims, including issues involving the water damage exclusion, Valued Policy Law (VPL), and adjustment practices.
· Representation of oil and gas companies in legacy suits involving claims of property and groundwater contamination.
· Representation of petroleum corporation in defense of tort and maritime personal injury and property damage claims, including long-term, occupational chemical exposures. Also provided counseling on oilfield indemnity and insurance coverage matters.
· Representation of nationwide retailer in defense of personal injury and property damage claims in the State of Louisiana.
· Representation of insurance company in defense of a statewide class action by policyholders asserting breach of contract, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment claims.
· Representation of insurance company in defense of a suit by a Louisiana legislatively-created body asserting claims for breach of statutory obligations and fraud.
· Representation of insurance companies in defense of direct action claims by plaintiffs asserting coverage for property damage and personal injury claims involving residential and commercial construction, including defective design allegations and water and mold damage.
· Representation of dock and terminal owner in defense of two class action cases arising out of separate releases of crude oil fumes. These cases involve several thousand individual claims for personal injury, property damage, and inconvenience.
· Representation of recreational watercraft manufacturer in defense of maritime personal injury and products liability claims. Also represents company in defense of claims for rescission of sale and property damage.
· Representation of railroad company in defense of three class action cases involving claims for personal injury, property damage, business interruption, inconvenience, and environmental damage. The first case involved potential claims by twenty thousand individuals and businesses arising out of the derailment of a train containing hazardous material. The second case involved claims by a nationwide group of employees for alleged chemical exposure in the workplace. The third case involved claims for alleged exposure to hazardous substances by residents living near a soil-blending facility on railroad property.
· Representation of chemical manufacturer for toxic tort, class action, occupational exposure, and asbestos cases.
· Representation of dock and vessel owner in defense of maritime personal injury and property damage claims.
· Representation of vessel operators in defense of maritime personal injury and property damage claims.
· Representation of an office products manufacturer in defense of product liability/personal injury claims involving allegations of manufacturing defects and failure to warn.
· Representation of the local professional hockey team, in defense of personal injury and premises liability claims.
· Representation of corporate owner of local restaurant franchise on matters involving personal injury, property damage, insurance coverage, and contract counseling.
· Representation of international product manufacturers in product liability litigation involving serious personal injuries.
Honors & Affiliations:
· Louisiana State Bar Association
· New Orleans Bar Association
· American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee (Vice-Chair)
· Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
· Louisiana State Law Institute, Legislative Appointment by Speaker of the House
· Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
· State Representative for District 98, 2008 to date - House Civil Law Committee, Chairman; Louisiana Hurricane Recovery Committee; Louisiana Legislative Audit Advisory Council, former member; Hurricane Katrina Memorial Committee, former member
· World Trade Center of New Orleans
· Fleur de Lis Ambassador for the City of New Orleans
· Audubon Nature Institute
· Unity of Greater New Orleans