Neil MacKay focuses on the development, financing and leasing of commercial real estate. He acts primarily for developers, owners, and larger institutional lenders, including life insurance companies, pension funds and banks. Neil's experience spans the spectrum of commercial real estate, including shopping centres, office buildings and industrial properties.
Neil's experience includes acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate, property development law including zoning issues and subdivision, commercial leasing, financings and advising regarding Saskatchewan farm ownership legislation.
Neil has acted on some of the largest real estate transactions in Saskatchewan, including the sale and financing of some of the largest shopping centres and office buildings in the province.
· Counsel for the vendor of a $50 million Class A office tower in Saskatoon.
· Saskatchewan counsel on the sale of four shopping centres in Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec with an aggregate value of $202 million by Wal-Mart Realty and SmartCentres Realty to The Great-West Life Assurance Company and London Life Insurance Company.
· Acted for Saskatchewan-based borrower on an $81 million financing secured primarily by borrower's leasehold property interests.
· Acted for lender on a $39 million financing on a Saskatoon shopping centre.
· Acted for lender on a $36 million financing of a Regina office building.
· Saskatoon Friendship Inn - Director; Chair of Governance Committee
· Saskatoon Road Runners - Director
· International Council of Shopping Centres, Law Conference - Saskatchewan Contributing Editor (1986-1996, 1998-2008)
Papers & Presentations
· "Land Development in the Greater Saskatoon Market and the Emerging Role of Partnerships", Saskatchewan Real Estate Forum (2011) - Moderator.
· "Financing On-Reserve Developments", Canadian Gaming Summit (Vancouver, 2011).
· Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, Spring Training Camp - Panellist (2007).
· International Council of Shopping Centres Idea Exchange - Lecturer.
Awards & Distinctions
· Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada - Real Estate Law (since 2006)
· Named one of Canada's Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory - Property Leasing (since 2007)
· Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell - "BV Peer Review Rated"
· Appointed Queen's Counsel (2010)