Nelson Migdal focuses his practice on hotel acquisitions, operations, development and finance, large mixed-use projects, hotel management agreements, licensing agreements, commercial real estate acquisition and sale, commercial leasing, and the representation of property owners on telecommunications matters.
Nelson's practice emphasizes hotel management, franchising, licensing and branding, as well as the acquisition and disposition of hotels, shopping centers, apartment buildings and other commercial property. He has prepared and reviewed commercial leases, purchase and sale agreements, multiple building covenants, and other documents related to the acquisition, financing, development, leasing, management and disposition of real and personal property. Nelson has also represented nationally recognized institutional property owners on telecommunications and building access matters.
Areas of Concentration
· Hospitality and resorts
· Real estate acquisition, development and leasing
· Hotel management and operations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Faculty, American University Washington College of Law, Hospitality and Tourism Law, 2013
· Adjunct Faculty, American University Washington College of Law
· Vice President, Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys
· Member, International Society of Hospitality Consultants
· Member, ULI Hotel Development Council
· Member, Georgetown Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit Advisory Board
· Member, Albany Law School Law Review
· Member, Justinian Society
· Chairman, D.C. Council, Friends and Alumni Network
· International Co-Chair, BBYO Friends and Alumni Network
· Co-Chair, BBYO International Convention
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2007-2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2007-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010, 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011-2012
· Team Member, "Best USA Law Firm For Real Estate & Environment," The International Legal Alliance Summit, 2011
· Listed, The Washington Post, "Washington DC's Top Real Estate Lawyers," 2008-2010
· Recipient, "Smart Lawyer Choice Award," 2008
· Listed, Aquatics International, "Waterparks Power 25," 2007-2008
· Listed, SmartCEO, "Legal Elite," Real Estate Law, 2007-2008
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Owner's Counsel for a portfolio transaction for Latin and Central American hotels.
· Owner's Counsel for the Conversion of the Bristol Buenaventura Resort, Panama.
· Owner's Counsel for the Acquisition of the Beach House.
· Owner's Counsel for the TRYP by Wyndham, Panama.
· Owner's Counsel for the Hyatt Place, Baltimore.
· Purchasers' Counsel for the Renaissance Arts and Pere Marquette, New Orleans.
· Counsel for Hard Rock Holdings, Philadelphia.
· Owner's Counsel for the Acquisition of The Sanderling Resort & Spa.
· Owner's Counsel for the 5 Beekman Hotel.
· Owner's Counsel for the Capella, Washington, D.C.
· Owner's Counsel for the Yotel New York Hotel.
· Counsel, Boutique Lodging & Lifestyle Association (BLLA).
· Owner's Counsel for the NoMad Hotel.
· Seller's Counsel for the Courtyard Navy Yard Hotel.
· Owner's Counsel for the Tucker's Point Resort, Bermuda.
· Owner's Counsel for TRYP by Wyndham, Quebec City, Canada.
· Licensor's Counsel for the Planet Hollywood Master Global License.
· Counsel for Hard Rock Holdings, Northfield Park, Ohio.
· Counsel for Hard Rock Holdings, Eurovegas, Hungary.
· Counsel for Hard Rock Holdings, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
· Counsel for Hard Rock Holdings, Cancun Palace Resort, Aventura Palace Resort, Vallarta Palace Resort, Mexico.
· Owner's Counsel for The Trump Ocean Club in Punta Pacifica, Panama.
· Owner's Counsel for the Trump Soho.
· Owner's Counsel for the St. Regis, Hamilton, Bermuda.
· Owner's Counsel for a large mixed use resort in Costa Rica.
· Owner's Counsel for Echelon Place, Las Vegas.
· Owner's Counsel for an extended stay portfolio acquisition.
· Acquisition of the Fairmont Washington Hotel.
· Owner's Counsel for the Fairmont Bar Harbor, Maine.
· Development and management of the Hilton Branson Landing Convention Center Complex.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Nelson has been a speaker at The Lodging Conference, RealShare, Hotel Business, IMN and other real estate and hospitality conferences. He was recently featured on the Commercial Real Estate Show where he spoke on hotel performance before and during the recession, touching on subjects such as volume cap rates, property financing and branding, and other industry topics. Nelson is also the author of numerous articles on the subject of real estate and the hospitality industry, including:
· Author, Hospitalitylawcheckin.com, Blog devoted to the hospitality industry, 2013
· Author, "Issues and Opportunities for the Hospitality Industry," Trend Report, July 2012
· Author, "Dealing with the Gov't - Don't Be Left Holding the Bag," Law360, April 5, 2012
· Author, "Franchise Follies and Management Agreements for Boutique Hotels," Globe Street, March 2011
· Author, "Why Boutique Hotel Management is Unique? A Personalized Guest Experience May Start With The Hotel Management Agreement," The Boutique & Lifestyle Lodging Association, October 8, 2010
· Author, "Franchise Agreements vs. Management Agreements: Which One Do I Choose?" Hotel Executive.com, December 2009
· Author, "To Employ or Not to Employ? That is the Question," Hotel Executive.com, October 2009
· Author, "In-Closing - There Can Still Be a Closing, Just No Closing Dinner," HotelExecutive.com, July 2008
· Co-Author, "The Battle Over Hotel Brand Standards and the Effect on the Bottom Line," HotelExecutive.com, July 2008
· Manuscript Reviewer, "Resort Development," Urban Land Institute Development Handbook Series, 2nd Edition, 2008
· Co-Author, "Hotel Law: Emerging Legal Issues," HotelExecutive.com, June 2007
· Author, "Faster than a Speeding Bullet," Real Estate Finance, April 2007
· Co-Author, "Hotel Acquisition Land Mines," HotelExecutive.com, February 2007
· Co-Author, "Massachusetts Taxes Hotel Investors. Will This Result Spread?" Real Estate Forum, 2007
· Author, "Hotel Financing and the SNDA," HotelExecutive.com, October 2006
· Author, "Best Defense for Workplace Disputes Is Properly Conducted Investigations," Real Estate Forum, October 2006
· Author, "Protecting Your Good Name The New Power In Licensing," Washington SmartCEO, August 2006
· Author, "Condo Hotel Management Challenges," Hotel Executive.com, June 2006
· Author, "Special Needs of Retail Bank Tenants Should Be Noted in Lease Agreements," Real Estate Forum, June 2006
· Author, "Do Bank Tenants Have Unique Concerns and Needs? You Can Bank On It!," May 2006
· Author, "Condo Hotel Sales-the Next Frontier," April 2006
· Author, "Leasing Fundamentals and the Bottom Line," April 2006
· Author, "Restaurant Leases - Deliciously Profitable or the Path to Heartburn," June 7, 2005
· Author, "Avoiding Employee Problems: Tips For Hospitality Industry Employers," October 21, 2004
· Author, "Real Estate Contracts Today," October 5, 2004
· Author, "The Woodley Road Appeal: Finally a Decision, but Less than Meets the Eye?," June 4, 2004
· Author, "Challenges and More in 2004," October 30, 2004
· Author, "Hotels Should Consider Nan's Law a Wake-up Call," May 28, 2004
· Author, "Hotel Security - Where the Claims Are?," February 5, 2004
· Author, "National Electric Code Requires the Removal of Abandoned Cabling, BUT WHO PAYS?," October 30, 2003
· Author, "FCC Stands Firm on RF Radiation Standards - For Now," October 30, 2003
· Author, "WANTED: A Good Telecom Access Agreement (Now More Than Ever)," October 30, 2003
· Author, "Management Agreement Turmoil A Word to the Wise: Disclosure," October 21, 2002
· Author, "Building Access and Speeding the Process with The Model Agreement," September 17, 2002
· Author, "What Is in Your Guest's In-Room Safe?," July 30, 2002
· Author, "The State of the Hospitality Industry: The Legal Perspective," March 15, 2002
· Author, "The New Frontier - Telecom Access," January 22, 2002