Practice/Industry Group Overview
Representation of International Companies
We regularly represent companies from many countries doing business in the Carolinas and/or elsewhere in the U.S., including companies from:
- China/Hong Kong
- Northern Ireland
- United Kingdom
We have represented and/or continue to represent well over 100 Asian, European, and Latin American companies in their expansions in the Southeastern U.S., advising them on:
- Economic development incentives
- Site acquisition and zoning approvals
- Corporate and tax issues
- Employment and labor law matters
- Environmental issues
We regularly represent U.S. and foreign companies on mergers and acquisitions throughout the world.
We also help clients negotiate terms of sale and set up international distribution, joint venture, or licensing arrangements, as well as foreign supplier arrangements, and we advise clients on enforcing and terminating such arrangements.
We also advise clients on starting sales offices, distribution facilities, and/or manufacturing plants in the U.S. and in foreign countries, as well as on handling disputes arising out of those arrangements.
We regularly advise clients in complex international disputes in U.S. courts and in international arbitration. We also advise concerning litigation liabilities and risk-containment in connection with U.S. business activities.
Recent or current cases include:
- Representing a Swedish industrial products manufacturer as national counsel in thousands of asbestos-related claims throughout the U.S.
- Represented a Swedish company that is the world’s largest dairy equipment manufacturer in a commercial arbitration proceeding.
- Represented a U.S. buyer and seller of used heavy construction equipment in litigation and mediation arising from the purchase of several hundred pieces of equipment in Latin America.
- Representing a Northern Irish maker of electrical products in litigation that resulted in an injunction prohibiting a former employee from showing or selling a line of products based on the client's proprietary technology.
- Representing an Italian chemical manufacturer in arbitration proceedings involving the termination of a former executive.
- Representing a Chinese plastics products maker in patent infringement litigation.
- Ongoing representation of a Costa Rican apparel maker in litigation concerning the operation of a joint venture entity.
We assist U.S. and foreign clients with patent and trademark applications in virtually every country in the world. We also assist foreign companies in IP compliance and protection in the U.S.
We have represented and/or continue to represent dozens of U.S. and foreign companies in connection with immigration and visa matters.
We frequently consult with U.S. and foreign-owned companies on compliance with the Buy America Act, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and laws restricting foreign investment in the U.S.
We also advise companies involved in international trade on the legal aspects of importing and exporting goods and services to and from the United States and other countries.
We also assist U.S. companies with subsidiaries and employees around the world with foreign country employment issues, such as hiring, independent contractor status, and non-competition issues. We provide international employers with offer letters, employment agreements, consulting agreements, workplace policies, termination letters, and severance agreements.
We assist our in-bound international clients with federal and state tax issues related to doing business in the U.S.
We are the Carolinas member for two networks of independent law firms, Mackrell International and LAWorld. These affiliations give us quick access to legal expertise in the major business centers around the world, allowing us to more effectively serve the international legal needs of clients. We are also affiliated with Yangtzejiang Legal Network, an association of Chinese attorneys providing access to all business centers in China.
Foreign Language Expertise
Within our own ranks, we have attorneys and support staff who are fluent in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.