Practice/Industry Group Overview
Being accused of bad faith is an affront to the integrity of an insurance company. Nexsen Pruet’s Insurance Bad Faith Defense Group understands the challenges insurers face. Our team stands ready to defend against the charge of bad faith with the experience and cost-effective representation that clients need and deserve.
The Insurance Bad Faith Defense Group approaches bad faith cases from a broad perspective involving coverage analysis, regulatory compliance, and litigation.
Collectively, we have decades of experience in researching and drafting insurance coverage opinions, litigating coverage and extra-contractual disputes, and representing insurers in regulatory compliance matters. Nexsen Pruet’s insurance attorneys represent our insurer clients at the state, regional, and national levels.
Diverse capabilities in multiple areas
The diversity of Nexsen Pruet’s Insurance Bad Faith Defense Group enables us to handle complex bad faith matters for commercial general liability, auto liability, property/casualty, excess and surplus lines, life, disability, and health insurers in first-party and third-party disputes.
Additionally, our lawyers have years of experience defending professional liability claims for a variety of professions.
Our attorneys have extensive background and legal experience in bad faith litigation matters involving serious bodily injury, wrongful death, major property damage, business torts, intellectual property, lost profits, and declaratory, equitable and injunctive relief.
We have considerable courtroom experience and skills and have successfully handled many insurance matters through trial and appeals in state and federal courts. We litigate bad faith claims in a wide variety of areas, including:
- Advertising liability claims
- Arbitration of insurance disputes
- Auto liability claims (including UM and UIM)
- Business interruption claims
- Construction defect/builders risk
- Credit life and disability
- Defense of first- and third-party claims
- Directors and officers liability claims
- Employment practices liability claims
- Environmental claims (pollution, mold)
- ERISA claims
- Errors and omissions claims
- Excess and surplus lines claims
- Extra-contractual claims
- Fidelity and surety claims
- Financial institution liability claims
- Insurance application misrepresentation claims
- Insurance fraud
- Life insurance claims
- Health/accident/disability claims
- Professional liability claims
- Property/casualty/liability coverage claims
- Property/subrogation claims
- Regulatory/licensing compliance
- Retrospective premium disputes
- Risk management
- Self-insured retentions/deductibles
- Title insurance claims
- Unfair claim settlement practices claims
Experience in claims resulting from catastrophes
Our attorneys have extensive experience in handling insurance bad faith matters that result from natural and manmade disasters. These include acts of nature, as well as explosions and fires.
Beyond that, we are skilled in the numerous issues that can emerge from disasters, such as errors and omissions, mishandled claims, business interruption and the failure of agencies to procure appropriate coverage or policy limits.
Additionally, Nexsen Pruet’s Insurance Bad Faith Defense Group has worked extensively with federal government agencies ranging from FEMA to the Small Business Administration.
Full service, full resources
Our insurance clients have access to skills and resources that go beyond the Insurance Bad Faith Defense Group. With dozens of practice areas – including product liability, employment and labor, construction, and environmental – we have the knowledge and capabilities to shape specific solutions to specific problems.