Nick is the Partner-In-Charge at the firm's London office and a partner in the firm's International Trade Mark & Copyright Protection Group.
Nick has experience in all areas of intellectual property with a particular focus on trade marks and designs. Nick advises clients on all aspects of the selection, prosecution, protection and enforcement of trade marks, brands and designs.
Nick acts for some of the world's most well known brands including leading luxury brands, apparel brands and the world's leading on-line retailer. Nick also assists the pro-bono organisation Own-It which provides advice to individuals within the creative industries who would otherwise not have access to legal advice.
Nick also works alongside the London VC team assisting new businesses with their IP needs. The London VC team supports entrepreneurs, early stage businesses and angel investors through the Firm's HIT Programme which defers legal fees for innovative business until such time as they raise significant finance or generate revenues and by offering start-up clients access to free software that enables them to write their own legal business documentation. We also support those that support entrepreneurs through our sponsorship and hosting of sponsoring various Angels Den events.
· Nick spent thirteen months as Acting Trademarks Counsel for Europe for a multinational beverage company, the owner of the world's most valuable brand.
· Nick is working with one of the world's leading luxury brands groups on issues relating to the use and misuse of their brands online.
· Nick has successfully prosecuted trade marks and designs across the European Union for the world's leading on-line retailer.
· Nick manages efficient and effective brand enforcement campaigns for some of the world's leading luxury, retail and consumer brands.
· Nick maintains a 100% success record in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy ("UDRP") proceedings before WIPO and similar proceedings before Nominet.
· Nick has managed trade mark infringement and passing off proceedings before the English High Court on behalf of one of the world's leading high-tech companies.
· Nick assisted one of the United States' most well known clothing brands with its successful European launch, including resolving disputes with owners of prior rights within the United Kingdom and elsewhere within the European Union.
· Nick sits on INTA's Internet Committee.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
· "Making Up for Gaps in Protection," author, World Trademark Review, February/March 2013.
· "EU Community Trademarks: Ignore National Borders?," co-author, Law360 Expert Analysis, January 2013.
· "Benefiting From a User-Friendly System: The United Kingdom Is One of the Most Cost-Effective Jurisdictions in Which to Deal with Domain Name Abuses," author, World Trademark Review, June/July 2012.
· "GTLDs: A Revolution For Consumers?," author, Law360, April 20, 2012.
· "Defining the Boundaries: Both the ECJ and the English Courts Have Credited Comparative Advertising with Promoting Healthy Competition in the Marketplace, but Advertisers Need to Ensure They Comply with Existing Rules and Procedures," co-author, World Trade Mark Review, Issue 34, December/January 2012.
· "Online Behavioural Advertising: EU Compliance Update for 2012," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
· "Design Rights Extend Only to Identical and Very Similar Designs," author, World Trademark Review Daily, November 17, 2011.
· "Looking at the Bigger Picture: The EU Regime Casts a Heavy Shadow Over the UK Pharmaceutical Practice," co-author, World Trade Mark Review, Issue 33, October/November 2011.
· "ECJ Introduces Concept of 'Honest Concurrent Use' into EU Law," author, World Trade Mark Review, 5 October 2011.
· "Non-Traditional Trademarks: the UK Perspective," co-author, World Trademark Review, Issue 32, August/September 2011.
· "Google Remains at the Heart of the Online Debate," co-author, World Trademark Review, Issue 29, February/March 2011.
· "Protecting the Attractive Force," co-author, World Trademark Review, Issue 28, December/January 2011.
· "Unregistered Trademarking: United Kingdom," author, World Trademark Review, October 2010.
· "Google AdWords and Trademark Infringements," author, IAM Magazine, June 2010.
· "Pharmaceutical Trademarks: United Kingdom," author, World Trademark Review, 2010.
· "Genericide: Pain or Gain?," author, IP Review, Spring Issue 2010.
· "What Users Really Think of Trade Mark Offices," co-author, Managing Intellectual Property, May 1, 2010.
· "Luxembourg Domain Names to Become Unrestricted and Introduce International Domain Names (I.D.N.s Domain Names in Non Latin Scripts)," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory, February 2010.
· SUPERSKIN Held to be Descriptive," co-author, World Trademark Review, January 28, 2010.
· "New Web Threat to Trademarks as ICANN Green-Lights International Domains," quoted, World Trademark Review, October 30, 2009.
· "Companies Names Dispute Resolution Launched in UK," co-authored with David Stone, MARQUES News, July 2008.
· "New Frontiers or Same Old Metropolis? Developments in the Law and Practice of Brands On-line" speaker and co-chair, IP INTERAction eCommerce Conference, 20 September 2011.
· "Trade Marks Law Update," User Generated Consent, September 2010.
· "Paid Search and Keyword Litigation," Online Brand Protection 2010, September 2010.
· "Trademark Use in Cyberspace," INTA, May 2010.
· EAPD First Annual Intellectual Property Update Conference, December 2009.
· "Community Designs - Case Law Update," INTA, May 2009.
· "Handling Trademark Challenges in an Online World," INTA, May 2009.
· "Trade Mark Law - An Introduction," Falconbury, April 2009.
· "An Introduction to Intellectual Property Law," LawWorks, September 2008.
· "EU and US Trade Mark Law: A Comparison," client training, Seattle, October 2008.
· "International Intellectual Property Law: Trade Marks," Falconbury, August 2008.
· "IP and the In-House Lawyer: The Latest Developments in IP Law," Hawksmere, May 2008, May 2007 and May 2006.
News & Publications
March 26, 2013, Edwards Wildman's Nick Bolter Analyzes What Makes Senior and Managing Partners Have a Good Relationship in Managing Partner
February/March 2013, In World Trademark Review, NIck Bolter discusses UK procedures for detecting and responding to online trademark infringement
January 16, 2013, Edwards Wildman's Nick Bolter and Gareth Dickson Analyze CJEU Ruling on Community Trademarks in Law360
December 20, 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - CJEU Suggests Use in Multiple Member States is a Factual, Though Not a Legal, Necessity for Most Community Trade Marks
July 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - National Use Neither Proves Nor Precludes Finding Of Genuine Use of a Community Trade Mark.
July 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory- Filing Trade Mark Applications in Europe: Mind Your Spec...
Case C-307/10 The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys v Registrar of Trade Marks, CJEU, 19 June 2012
April 26, 2012, Nick Bolter Appointed Partner-in-Charge of Edwards Wildman's London Office
March 20, 2012, Edwards Wildman Featured in World Trademark Review 1000 'Top 25'
December 2011, Client Advisory - Online Behavioural Advertising: EU Compliance Update for 2012
An Edwards Wildman Privacy & Data Protection Client Advisory
December 1, 2011, London Duo Authors Article for World Trademark Review
September 2011, Client Advisory - The CJEU's Decision in Interflora v Marks & Spencer (Case C-323/09)
December 2010/January 2011, Nicholas Bolter and Sascha Grimm Co-Author Article Discussing Key UK 'Pass-off' Cases for World Trademark Review
2010/2011, Pharmaceutical Trademarks - A Global Guide - UK Chapter
June 1, 2010, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Relocates London Office to Dashwood
February 1, 2010, Client Advisory - Luxembourg domain names to become unrestricted and introduce International Domain Names (I.D.N.s domain names in non Latin scripts)
September 7, 2009, London Office of Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Continues to Expand
Intellectual Property Lawyer Nicholas Bolter Joins as Partner
Before Edwards Wildman
Before joining the Firm, Nick was head of trade marks at the London office of Howrey LLP.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Nick tries, not always successfully, to balance his love of motor racing with spending time with his young family.
15 February 2012 IP INTERAction Conference
New Threats and New Opportunities: What IP Owners Should Be Doing Now
December 9, 2011, Dublin, Ireland European Conference on Trademarks and the Internet
Online brand name protection is a critical priority for brand owners. Are you asking the right questions?
February 1, 2011, London, United Kingdom Second Annual Intellectual Property Update Conference
September 28, 2010, London, United Kingdom Online Brand Protection 2010
December 3, 2009, London, United Kingdom First Annual Intellectual Property Update Conference
· International Association of Privacy Professionals