Nichole DeVries is an associate with PilieroMazza in the Labor and Employment Law and Litigation Groups. Ms. DeVries counsels clients in a broad range of employment matters including best practices, employment discrimination actions, labor investigations and regulatory compliance, including the Service Contract Act. She also has experience navigating the complex nature of administrative agency claims, and has litigated in numerous civil forums, she can assist your company in navigating a wide range of civil disputes. Ms. Devries has successfully assisted clients in reaching settlements through mediation and negotiations, enforced arbitration agreements and developed sensitive work force reduction plans.
Employment law experience:
• Counseling client’s regarding liability exposure when making work force decisions
• Obtaining favorable outcome in charges before the EEOC
• Negotiating resolutions to employment agreement disputes and non-competition violations
• Obtaining settlement of EEOC discrimination charge for mere pennies on the dollar where complainant agreed to dismiss her charge in exchange for a small amount of money she claimed was due to her in back wages
Labor law experience:
• Successfully negotiated several collective bargaining agreements for successor contractors that inherited an organized bargaining unit from a predecessor contractor
• Obtained early resolution of several unfair labor practice charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board• Counseling clients during the solicitation process and after award regarding the company’s relationship with the bargaining unit and its obligations
• Assisting clients through the grievance and dispute resolution process
Regulatory compliance experience:
• Successfully negotiated Service Contract Act liability with the Department of Labor with respect to misclassification of employees
• Obtained a substantial reduction in back payment liability for a client that miscalculated benefits owed to employees pursuant to the Davis-Bacon Act
• Negotiated a significant reduction in Service Contract Act Liability for client and assisted the client in defending its performance of work requirements when audited
• Assisted client in working with the Department of Labor and a subcontractor to negotiate a resolution to subcontractor liability for Service Contract Act violations
General litigation experience
• Achieved favorable pre-trial settlement for a client sued by a former employee under the Americans with Disabilities Act
• Obtained pre-trial dismissal in a breach of contract and unjust enrichment claim by bringing a motion to dismiss based on jurisdiction, revealing the weakness of the plaintiff’s claims and causing the plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss the lawsuit
• Used effective litigation tactics to persuade counsel for plaintiff in employment discrimination suit to voluntarily dismiss the case (unpublished, 2012)
• Achieved pre-trial dismissal of lawsuit and an award of sanctions in favor of our client, a corporate defendant, in a discrimination lawsuit brought by a disgruntled former employee (unpublished, 2012)
Bar and Court Admissions
• District of Columbia Superior Court
• Georgia Superior Court
• Georgia Court of Appeals
• Georgia Supreme Court
Professional Honors and Awards
• Georgia State University Law Review, Legislative Editor, 2008-2010
• Bleckley Inn of Court, 2009-2010
• Fulbright Scholar, 2004-2005, Indonesia
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
• American Bar Association
• Bar Association of the District of Columbia
• Street Law Inc., providing basic legal education to high school students
• “Executive Order 13495 Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers Under Service Contracts,” PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, First Quarter 2013
• “Preventing the Scramble: Proactively Preparing for Allegations of Discrimination,” PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, Second Quarter, 2012.
• “I Have to Do What? Hire My Competitor’s Employees,” Set-Aside Alert, Dec. 16, 2011
• “Vacation Benefits Under the Service Contract Act,” PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, Fourth Quarter, 2011.
• “Chemical Waste Litigation Reporter,” Contributor, a premier resource for developments in CERLA/RCRA environmental litigation.
• “Conceiving Equality: Infertility-Related Illness under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act,” Georgia State University Law Review (Vol.26, Spring 2010).
• “Educating a Multi-Dimensional Legal Professional: Examining the Success of Street Law Programs in South Africa,” Future of Legal Education International Conference Proceedings, Georgia State University, 2008.
Recent Speaking Engagements
• Presenter, “Current Financial and Legal Trends in Government Contracting,” A PilieroMazza Breakfast Seminar with Aronson LLC, May 9, 2013
• Presenter, “Managing and Incentivizing Employees, Sharing in the Upside While Protecting the Company’s Downside,” A PilieroMazza Breakfast Seminar with Aronson LLC, Sep. 13, 2012