Nicole K. McLaughlin practices in the area of intellectual property law, with a particular emphasis on trademarks, copyrights, licensing, and Internet and computer law. Ms. McLaughlin's experience includes managing large domestic and foreign trademark portfolios, prosecuting and defending trademark infringement matters, and drafting, negotiating, implementing and providing legal advice regarding website media and content licensing agreements. She also has experience with computer software licenses, technology due diligence and technology transfer issues.
Ms. McLaughlin regularly counsels clients regarding all facets of domestic and international trademark portfolio management. She has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including building materials, consumer packaged goods, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, luxury goods, and financial services, ranging in size from small to Fortune 500 companies. Ms. McLaughlin advises and assists clients in the development, maintenance and protection of their brands on a worldwide basis, including conducting registrability investigations, prosecuting trademark applications, reviewing marketing materials, coordinating international protection programs and initiating and defending inter-parties proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She provides counsel on domain name strategies and acquisitions and disputes of domain names.
Ms. McLaughlin also focuses her practice on trademark and unfair competition litigation. Ms. McLaughlin is a 2001 graduate of Rutgers University School of Law-Camden, with honors, and a graduate of Purdue University. She is a member of the Computer Law Association and the International Trademark Association.
· Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of a controlling interest in a manufacturer and distributor of women's and children's socks and indoor footwear.
· Represented Clarion Capital Partners, a New York private equity firm, in connection with the sale of Strategic Outsourcing, Inc., a human resources outsourcing firm, to TriNet Group, Inc.
· Manages over 6500 domestic and foreign trademark matters for a single global materials company and its affiliates, involving glass, ceramic, plastic, cast iron and abrasives.
· Counsel to a leading lighting control company for all domestic and foreign trademark matters.
Areas of Practice
· Intellectual Property Law
· Trademark, Copyrights, Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
· Intellectual Property Litigation
· Technology Transactions and Licensing
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2010-present
- Associate, 2001-2009
- Summer Associate, 2000
· International Trademark Association
· Computer Law Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· "Tackling Counterfeiters Where It Hurts the Most: The Allure of the ITC," World Intellectual Property Review Trademarks and the Internet 2011
· "A Warning to Overreaching Trademark Owners: ACPA Gives Domain Name Registrants Cause of Action," The Legal Intelligencer
· Co-author, "Virtual Reality: The Next Frontier for Trademark Owners"
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Regular presenter to the Wharton Venture Initiation Program with respect to intellectual property issues
· Speaker, "Negotiating IP Licenses Today for Tomorrow"