As an associate in the Litigation Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, Owen Bourns has acted for a wide variety of clients involving many different industries and areas of law. He has significant experience in the preparation of legal drafting, legal research, and representing clients in negotiations and at court. He has represented clients before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Ontario Small Claims Court, and the Landlord and Tenant Board.
Owen combines his civil litigation experience and entrepreneurial spirit with the fundamental understanding that all client matters require tact, dedication and a willingness to look for creative solutions to complicated legal questions. A graduate of the University of Ottawa law program, Owen gained valuable experience volunteering at the Community Legal Aid Clinic. As a teaching assistant in the University of Ottawa's alternative dispute resolution program, Owen acted as a mentor, guide and instructor. That background has instilled in him the critical ability as a litigator to focus on the underlying, sometimes hidden, issues on which a case hinges.
Owen Bourns reflects the Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall tradition of seeking out the next generation of top legal talent from our community. Owen first joined Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall as a summer student in 2007. He accepted a position in our Litigation Group in 2008.
· Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2009
· University of Ottawa, 2008
· B.A., Trent University, 2005
· Law Society of Upper Canada
· Canadian Bar Association
· Ontario Bar Association
· County of Carleton Law Association
· "Oppression Remedy for Third Party Security Holders and Creditors", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, August 2013.
· "Damages for Online Defamation", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, March 2013.
· "Emergency Injunctive Relief By Ontario Courts", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, February 2012.
· "Defamation on the Internet/The Anonymous Defamer", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, November 2011 (with Keith MacLaren).
· "Possessory Title, the "new" Adverse Possession", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, June 15, 2011
· "Non-Competition Clauses In The Purchase Or Sale Of A Business", Ottawa Business Journal, December 2009.