Parke D. Terry has more than 35 years of experience in California state government policy and politics. He served as the Chief Consultant to the Assembly Committee on Governmental Organization from 1971 to 1985 where, among other things, he helped create the Department of Health Services, the Seismic Safety Commission, and the Office of Administrative Law.
Since becoming a registered lobbyist in 1986, Parke has represented a broad array of business and trade association clients before the State Legislature, the Governor's Office, and state regulatory agencies. His areas of special expertise include alcoholic beverage regulation, business taxation, state contracts and procurement, construction law and contractor licensing, conflict-of-interest and governmental ethics, government reorganization plans, energy, gaming (including horse racing, lotteries, and Indian gaming), health care and pharmaceutical regulation and licensing, waste management and beverage container recycling, water resources and conservation, and workers compensation.
Parke served as the immediate past President for the Institute of Governmental Advocates, California's professional association for registered lobbyists, and is a member of its Board of Directors.
Areas of Concentration
· Legislative and regulatory advocacy
· Public policy and political consulting
· Business regulation and taxation
· Health care
· Environmental regulation and compliance
· Public contracts and procurement
Professional & Community Involvement
· Director and Past President, Institute of Governmental Advocates
· Represented major contractor association in construction defect reform legislation to prohibit clauses in residential construction contracts that require a not-at-fault contractor to indemnify a builder or owner for negligent work performed by others.
· Represented a national pharmaceutical wholesaler on major legislation to expand state regulation of prescription drug distribution and sale.
· Recovered more than $2 million in overpayment of fees collected from an international brewer in connection with the state's beverage container recycling program.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Quoted, "Online Poker Fight Pits Tribes Against Tribes," Capitol Weekly: The Newspaper of California Government and Politics, July 1, 2010
· Author, "Commission Narrows Tax Reform Options," GT Sacramento Newsletter, July 2009
· Author, "Sales Taxes on Services - Still Very Much in Play," GT Sacramento Newsletter, March 2009
· Co-Author, "CARB Adopts Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Regulations," GT Sacramento Newsletter, January 2008
· Author, "Legislature Back in Full Swing," GT Sacramento Newsletter, April 2007
Parke is a frequent speaker and panelist at legislative and regulatory process training sessions for various groups and associations.