Patricia Menendez-Cambo serves as the Vice President and Secretary of Greenberg Traurig. She also Co-Chairs the Global Energy & Infrastructure Practice, and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Prior to assuming the leadership of the firm's Global Practice Group, she headed the firm's Latin American Practice. Patricia works on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate governance, as well as capital markets and general corporate and securities law matters. Patricia has been lead counsel on numerous first-time cross-border transactions. Although she represents clients from around the world, her primary focus is in Europe with an emphasis in Spain and Latin American transactions.
Patricia remains actively involved in the strategy and operations of her clients' business, providing practical solutions and serving as a catalyst for launching, growing, and maintaining successful businesses. Patricia previously served as Subdirectora General for Telefónica S.A. and General Counsel to a number of their subsidiaries and affiliates, assisting them in relation to their global expansion. During her tenure as in-house counsel, she also served as a Director for a number of entities within the Telefónica Group throughout Latin America, Europe and Asia.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions; strategic alliances
· Capital markets
· Cross-border financing transactions
· Project finance
· International regulatory and antitrust matters
Awards & Recognition
National Law Journal
· Selected, The National Law Journal, "50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America," 2008
· Selected, The National Law Journal, "50 Most Influential Women Lawyers in America," 2007
· Selected, The National Law Journal, "100 Most Influential Lawyers in America," 2006
· Selected, The National Law Journal, "40 Under 40," 2005
World Economic Forum
· Selected, "Young Global Leader," World Economic Forum, 2007
Chambers and Partners
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, Corporate M&A, 2006-2013
· Listed, Chambers Global, Corporate & Finance Latin America and USA, 2006-2013
· Lead Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010, 2011 and 2013
· Listed, Chambers Latin America, Corporate M&A, 2009-2011
· Lead Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; International Trade and Finance Law, 2006-2014
· Listed, Latin Lawyer, 1 of 15 "Inspiring Women in Law," 2013
· Member, firm named as one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms as selected by general counsels of public companies, in the 13th annual legal industry study, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., 2013
· Recipient, M&A Advisor "Leadership Award" for Outstanding Achievements, M&A, 2013
· Shortlisted, Euromoney Legal Media Group's Americas Women in Business Law Awards, "Best in Mergers & Acquisitions," 2013
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, one of "Top Lawyers in South Florida," 2010-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 Latin America, Corporate and M&A, 2012
· Finalist, Daily Business Review, "Top Dealmaker of the Year - Corporate (Domestic) Category," 2012
· Finalist, Daily Business Review, "Top Dealmaker of the Year - Corporate (International) Category," 2012
· Member, Winning Team, Latin Lawyer's "Deal of the Year - Restructuring" Award, 2012
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Listed, Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers, 2011
· Selected, Winning Deal Team - Distressed M&A Deal of the Year (Over $100mm), Turnaround Awards, The M&A Advisor, 2011
· Listed, Latin Lawyer 250 Guide, Corporate & Finance Latin America, 2006-2011
· Listed, PLC Which Lawyer Guide, Corporate/M&A, 2006-2009
· Recipient, "M&A Deal of the Year Award," Latin Lawyer Magazine, 2008
· Finalist, M&A Deal of the Year: Bancolombia/Banco Agricola, Americas Awards, International Financial Law Review (IFLR), 2008
· Listed, International Financial Law Review, "Expert Guides, Corporate M&A," 2005-2008
· Selected, Hispanic Enterprise magazine, "The 20 Leading Latinas in Business," 2007
· Listed, Hispanic Business magazine, "100 Influentials List," 2006
· Recipient, "Young Hispanic Leadership Award," Hispanic Heritage Council, 2002
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Global Gender Parity Group, World Economic Forum
· Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
· Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
· Board Member, Council of the Americas
· Board of Overseers, Trustee, University of Pennsylvania Law School
· Advisory Board Member, Institute for International and Comparative Law
· Member, Council on Foreign Relations
· Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Women's Interest Group
· Member, American Bar Association
· Trustee, National Alliance for Autism Research (NAAR)
Mergers & Acquisitions
· Representation of consortium of investors in the US$700 million purchase of more than 1,700 retail operations of McDonald's in 17 jurisdictions in Latin America and the Caribbean.
· Represented Liberty Acquisition Holdings Corp. in its $1.5 billion reverse-acquisition of Promotora De Informaciones, S.A., a Spanish company. Liberty was a blank check company formed in 2008. Promotora de Informaciones, S.A., or Prisa, is the world's leading Spanish and Portuguese-language media group in the fields of education, information and entertainment. The Liberty shareholders became the majority shareholders of Prisa. The Prisa shares issued in the business combination were listed for trading on the Madrid Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange through American Depositary Receipts.
· Representation of Grupo Prisa and its wholly-owned subsidiary Sogecable, S.A. in the purchase of a majority interest in V-Me Media, Inc., the fourth-largest Hispanic television network in the United States. V-Me is currently distributed in 36 metropolitan television markets and reaches 61 million U.S. households. Prisa, an Ibex-listed media company, is the world's leading Spanish and Portuguese-language business group in news and other print media, radio and television broadcasting and film productions. Operating throughout over 300 subsidiaries in 22 countries, Grupo Prisa reaches more than 50 million users through its global brands El País, 40 Principales, Santillana and Alfaguara.
· Representation of the largest telecommunications company in Spain in numerous transactions throughout Latin America and the United States, including the US$5.7 billion acquisition of one of the largest U.S.-based internet services and online content provider, the US$1.36 billion acquisition of a Mexican wireless carrier, and the US$250 million acquisition of a customer services company in Brazil.
· Representation of Salvadoran financial institution in its US$900 million sale to Colombia's largest full-service financial institution conducted through simultaneous tender offers in Panama and El Salvador.
· Representation of Rowland Coffee Roasters, Inc., a privately-held company based in Miami and best known for the leading Hispanic brands Café Bustelo® and Café Pilon®, in the $360 million sale of its coffee brands and business operations to The J.M. Smucker Company.
· Representation of one of the oldest banks in Central America as U.S. Counsel in its merger with a Guatemalan bank, creating a financial institution with US$3.7 billion in assets.
· Representation of Mesoamerica Energy and the other stockholders of Energias Renovables de Mesoamerica, the owner, operator and leading developer of wind projects in Central America in the sale of a 70% majority interest of ERM to Globeleq Generation Ltd., a leading European energy company, actively developing economically sustainable energy solutions for the emerging markets of Africa, the Americas and Asia. ERM owns and operates a 23MW wind energy plant in Costa Rica and is developing the Cerro de Hula wind energy project with a designed capacity of 100 MW in Honduras. Mesoamerica Energy includes a number of the most prominent and well-respected investors from some of the largest business concerns in Central America, including airlines, banks, real estate, construction materials, and agro-industry.
· Representation of the stockholders of Esco Interamerica, Ltd., an international construction equipment leasing company operating through over 30 subsidiaries in Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Mexico in its sale to an affiliate of Harsco Corporation, a worldwide industrial services company (NYSE: HSC) serving global industries, including infrastructure, metals, railways and energy.
· Representation of a leading U.S. financial institution in the purchase from a multinational European financial institution of a US$950 million Latin America loan portfolio including over 100 syndicated, bi-lateral and multi-lateral loans in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Mexico.
· Representation of Harvestland Overseas, S.A., the leading hybrid corn and agricultural seed developer and seed production company with operations in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia and Venezuela to NYSE-listed Monsanto Company.
· Representation of Salvadoran financial conglomerate Inversiones Financieras Bancosal, S.A., in the sale of a majority interest to Grupo Banistmo, S.A., a leading Panamanian financial institution. The transaction was conducted through a public tender offer through the Salvadoran Stock Exchange.
· Representation of Panamanian company in the US$145 million sale of a publicly traded Costa Rican manufacturing company with 30 subsidiaries located throughout Latin America to a French-Belgian conglomerate through a tender offer in Costa Rica, which was the first involving a European buyer.
· Representation of regional Panamanian investment company in connection with purchase of a 49.9% interest in a regional cable operator in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Costa Rica.
· Leader of Greenberg Traurig team that represented MAT Concessionaire, LLC and its sponsors, Meridiam Infrastructure Fund and Bouygues Travaux Publics, S.A., in the Port of Miami Tunnel project, one of the first greenfield public-private partnerships in the United States.
· Represented Satelites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V., one of only two privately managed fixed satellite service providers in Latin America, in its offering of US$325 million in principal amount of new 9.5% senior secured notes.
· Represented Arcos Dorados, B.V. in the US$350 million acquisition finance facility and US$80 million letter of credit facility for the purchase of the franchise of McDonald's in 18 jurisdictions throughout Latin America and the Caribbean; the financing involved collateral in 18 jurisdictions, with multiple inter-creditor issues, and compliance with the franchise agreement and franchise regime of McDonald's.
· Representation of Salvadoran retailer in connection with US$300 million multi-currency financings secured by assets in 11 different Caribbean jurisdictions. The acquisition was consummated in part through public offers in Jamaica and Barbados.
· Representation of investor in connection with a US$45 million mezzanine financing and US$50 million refinancing and venture for a regional wireless communications provider in British Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, Aruba, and Cayman Islands.
· Representation of leading Italian telecommunications company in connection with its operations in the United States and Latin America.
· Represented U.S. electoral solutions company in domestic and international operations.
· Representation of Spanish media company in its acquisition of Mexican and U.S. radio stations.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Women's Interest Group: Access to Justice for Women, U.S., 2013
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Women's Interest Group: How to Become a Leader in the Legal Profession, U.S., 2013
· Moderator, Chambers and Partners, What Clients Want: The Perspective of Female General Counsels, U.S., 2013
· Session Chair, M&A Advisor, Cross Border M&A Summit, Brazil - Growth Beyond GDP, U.S., 2013
· Speaker, M&A Advisor, Cross Border M&A Summit, M&A Sector Report - Energy, U.S. 2013
· Speaker, World Economic Forum, Closing the Gender Gap, Peru, 2013
· Session Co-Chair, International Bar Association Latin American Regional Forum: Tax Efficiency and Implications, Peru, 2013
· Speaker, Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice, Mujeres en la Profesión Legal en el Perú: Estrategias para Contratar, Capacitar, Retener y Promover Abogadas, Perú, 2013
· Speaker, Council of the Americas, Women's Economic Empowerment: Creating the Role Model in Latin America, U.S., 2012
· Speaker, International M&A Summit, Sector Report: Energy, Mining & Utilities, U.S., 2012
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Women Lawyers' Interest Group: How to be a Persuasive Role Model - and Not to Lose Your Best Talents, Ireland, 2012
· Speaker, Harvard Business School and Columbia Business School, Women in Latin American Business: Leadership Potential and Challenges, Miami, 2012
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Second Conference of the Americas, U.S., 2011
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Mergers and Acquisitions in Latin America: Emerging from the Financial Crisis, Mexico, 2011
· Speaker, 2010 China Strategy Execution Summit, Role of Government and Legislation in Implementing Global Strategies, China, 2010
· Speaker, International Bar Association, The Economic Crisis and the Banking Industry, Chile, 2010
· Speaker, Council of the Americas, Latin America, Spain and the United States: Strengthening Transatlantic Partnerships, Spain, 2010
· Speaker, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Challenging Times for the Engagement of International Legal Counsel, Miami, 2009
· Speaker, Latin America Business Update Roundtable, Opportunities for Growth, U.S., 2009
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Concessions of Public Works and Services: A Critical Analysis of Contracts and their Consequences, Spain, 2009
· Speaker, International Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions in Latin America: Trends and Challenges, Colombia, 2009
· Speaker, Latin America Business Update, Doing Business in Latin America - Challenges and Opportunities, U.S., 2009
· Speaker, Mergermarket, "Latin American M&A and Private Equity Roundtable: The Impact of the Credit Crisis," U.S., 2009
· Speaker, Institute for International and Comparative Law, "Making International Business Work in Distressed Markets," Symposium on Global Markets, U.S., 2009
· Speaker, Mergermarket, "Investing in Latin America Forum," Colombia, 2009
· Speaker, The Florida Bar, The Second Annual International Business Transactions Conference, U.S., 2009
· Speaker, The American Lawyer, Law Firm Leaders Forum, U.S., 2008
· Speaker, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Annual M&A Symposium, U.S., 2008
· Speaker, The Florida Bar, International Business Transactions Conference, U.S., 2008
· Speaker, Florida International University, Latin American CEO Forum, U.S., 2008
· Speaker, Latin Lawyer, Roundtable for Leaders of Latin American Legal Practice, U.S., 2008
· Panelist, World Economic Forum, Mexico, 2008
· Speaker, Latin Lawyer, Central America Free Trade Agreement Roundtable, U.S., 2007
· Host, Poder-BCG Business Forum, U.S., 2005-2007
· Speaker, Iberian Lawyer, International Bar Association Roundtable, U.S., 2006
· Participant, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO Summit, Chile, 2005
· Moderator, Miami Herald, Americas Conference, U.S., 2004-2006
· Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce of Peru, Panama, 2004
(Also at New York, New York Office)