|University ||Mercyhurst College, Erie, Pennsylvania, B.A., 1978|
|Law School||University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia, J.D., 1981|
|Admitted||1981, Ohio; 1985, District of Columbia|
Member: American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate Section
Member: Ohio State Bar Association
Member: Akron Bar Association; Past Chair, Probate Section
|Born||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 27, 1956|
Practice Area & Professional Experience
• Joined the Firm as an associate in 1988; elected a partner in 1991.
• Former Chair and Co-chair of the Trust & Estates Practice Group.
• Over 30 years experience providing estate and business succession planning counsel to clients, and assisting with the structuring of charitable planned gifts.
• Expertise in the creation and administration of private foundations, charitable split interest trusts, and other planned giving vehicles.
• Previously practiced law in Washington, D.C., and Cleveland, Ohio.
Awards & Honors
• Listed in The Best Lawyers in America , (1995 - 2015).
• Received special recognition for 10 consecutive years or more as one of The Best Lawyers in America.
• Recognized as one of Ohio's Super Lawyers (2004 - 2014), as voted by his peers.
Professional & Civic Involvement
Member: Order of the Coif
Member, Advisory Board: Lisle M. Buckingham Endowment Fund
Member, Board of Trustees: Mercyhurst University, Erie, Pennsylvania
Member, Vice-Chair and Board of Directors: Humane Society of Greater Akron
Member, Advisory Board: WKSU - FM (Kent State University Public Radio)
Member, Cabinet: Leave a Legacy, Akron, Ohio
President and Director: Betty and John Jacobson Foundation
Member, Chair: Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs Technology Committee
Past Member: Virginia Law Review
Presentations & Publications
Co-author: “ Estate Tax Relief Does Not Reduce Need for Planning” (Law You Can Use)
Frequent speaker on trust and estates and charitable law issues for various organizations and clients.
Snowbird Rules - Change of Domicile
Business Succession Planning
Planned Giving for Charitable Organizations
Social Media Issues and Charitable Organizations
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#116 in weekly profile views out of 1,965 lawyers in Akron, Ohio|
|#102,587 in weekly profile views out of 1,722,821 total lawyers Overall|