Since 1995, Paul B. Ranis has concentrated his broad litigation practice in employment-related matters and commercial litigation. Mr. Ranis has conducted over 25 trials in state and federal courts and has handled over 350 depositions in his career. In 2011 and 2012, Mr. Ranis was named a Legal Elite by Florida Trend, which recognizes the top 1.8 % of Florida's lawyers.
As an employment litigator, Mr. Ranis has represented local and national clients, in numerous jury and non-jury trials involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment, restrictive covenants, as well as nationwide class and collective wage and hour issues. Mr. Ranis has obtained significant summary judgment rulings and defense verdicts in defending lawsuits under Title VII, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Florida Civil Rights Act (FCRA), and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
As a commercial litigator, Mr. Ranis has a broad range of experience representing real estate developers, commercial landlords, telecommunication companies, and aviation-related organizations in a wide range of contract and complex business disputes, including class action defense.
Areas of Concentration
· Employment litigation
· Non-competition/restrictive covenant agreements
· Wage and hour issues (including collective/class actions)
· Sexual harassment/hostile work environment
· Landlord-tenant issues
· Complex commercial litigation
· Fair Credit Reporting Act
· Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act
· Unfair and deceptive trade practices
· Class action defense
· Insurance litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Broward County Bar Association
· Adjunct Professor, Nova Southeastern University School of Law
· Lecturer, NITA Deposition Seminars (2000-Present)
· Past Board Member, The Starting Place, Inc.
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2013
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," Employment Law, 2011-2012
· Listed, South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers®, Legal Leaders, 2012
· Team Member, Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Lead trial counsel in 6-day jury trial involving claim of corporate defamation, resulting in verdict in favor of South Florida client.
· Represented South Florida employer on alleged marital status discrimination case resulting in dismissal of lawsuit. See Industrial Affiliates, Ltd. v. Fish, 25 So. 3d 629 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009).
· Represented international technology company in non-compete lawsuit filed in federal court, resulting in entry of injunction against former account executive.
· Represented national retailer in nationwide collective action under the FLSA, resulting in dismissal of the lawsuit.
· Represented national real estate company in Florida whistleblower action, resulting in dismissal of lawsuit.
· Represented national calling card company in enforcement of non-compete agreement against former sales executives, resulting in permanent injunction and lost profit award of $1.35 million.
· Represented national car dealership in non-compete and non-solicitation lawsuit filed by competitor, resulting in denial of temporary injunction.
· The matters below were handled by Paul prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig:
· Represented national movie theatre chain in multi-count discrimination and retaliation lawsuit, resulting in summary judgment in favor of client.
· Represented international tire company in multiple employment related actions.
· Represented national telecommunications company in multiple actions, including employment-related matters, breach of contract claims, and brokerage commission cases.
· Represented national storage company in whistle blower lawsuit, resulting in defense verdict in federal jury trial.
· Represented national gas station client in collective action overtime lawsuit filed in federal court under the FLSA, resulting in a final judgment for the defense.
· Represented multiple commercial landlords in tenant eviction actions.
· Represented aviation supply corporation in enforcement of restrictive covenant against former sales manager, resulting in an injunction prohibiting sales manager from working with a rival competitor.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Lecturer, "Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Program," 2012
· Featured Speaker, "Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Seminar," Berkowitz Dick Pollack & Brant, February 2012
· Panel Speaker, " Big Firm Basics," Young Lawyers Section, Broward County Bar Association, March 2011
· Featured Speaker, "Sexual Harassment Prevention and Training," Berkowitz Dick Pollack & Brant, July 2008
· Featured Speaker, "Restrictive Covenants," Employment Law Series
· Featured Speaker, "Workplace in an Era of Terrorism," Employment Law Series