Paul Berkowitz has more than 35 years of experience working with businesses, both domestically and internationally, in a wide range of industries, including serving as a senior executive with a NYSE-listed company. Paul gives an insightful outlook when advising clients facing the challenges of today's economy. Paul's background combines cross-border representation of clients in acquisition, disposition, and debt and equity financing transactions, including acting as an advisor to multinational enterprises in rule 144A, initial public and high yield debt offerings.
Areas of Concentration
· Public-private partnerships (P3s)
· Public and private offerings
· Financing transactions
Professional & Community Involvement
· Director, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business South Florida Alumni Club
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, The Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- Chair, Financial Management Committee
- Member, Executive Committee
- Board Member, Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers ® "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Finalist, Daily Business Review, "Top Dealmaker of the Year - Corporate (International) Category," 2012
· Member, Winning Team, Latin Lawyer's "Deal of the Year - Restructuring" Award, 2012
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010-2011
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2009
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, 2007
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2006 and 2007
· Listed, South Florida Business Journal, "Best of the Bar," April 2003
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented Mexican satellite services provider in the issuance of debt securities and rights offering as part of a prepackaged bankruptcy.
· Represented manufacturer and distributor of personal care products in the acquisition and financing of a major household products group.
· Represented purchaser in the simultaneous acquisition of operations in seven countries, and the establishment of European, Asian and South American operations.
· Served as lead counsel in the U.S. public offering of the first company organized under the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany to be listed on the Nasdaq.
· Served as lead counsel for offering of German high tech companies listed on the Nasdaq.
· Represented manufacturer and distributor of vitamin and nutritional products in acquisitions, financings and sale through a $1.6 billion tender offer.
· Represented purchaser of services company in Brazil.
· Represented participant in establishment of venture in Japan.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, " JOBS Act Benefits for Non?U.S. Issuers," GT Alert, June 2013
· Author, "Joint Venture? Planning, Strategy and Key Decisions Should Be First," Builder News, January 2011
· Author, "Risky Business: How to Avoid Building the Same House Twice," Builder News, August 2010
· Author, "Reality check: Financing Challenges are Many, But There are Some Options for Builders," Builder News, July 2010
· Author, "Home Carranty Updates," Builder News, June 2010
· Author, "Restructuring Real Estate Deals," Builder News, May 2010
· Author, "Should Your Company Adopt a Stock Repurchase Plan?" Corporate Board Member Magazine, April 2010
· Co-Author, "IRS Memorandum May Impact Treatment of Chinese Drywall Losses," GT Alert, March 10, 2010
· Author, "Board Links With Outside Counsel," The Corporate Board, September/October 2004
· Quoted, "Sorting Out Sarbanes-Oxley," ABA Journal, February 2003
· Co-Author, "Condo-Hotels: Unregistered Securities," Urban Land, November/December 2002
· Quoted, "Deals Get Harder as Economic Slowdown Squashes M&As," Corporate Legal Times, December 2002
· Quoted, "Do Homework Before Saying 'I Do' to Acquisition," Sun-Sentinel, March 7, 2002
· Co-Author, "SEC Cautions on Use of Pro Formas," GT Alert, December 2001
· Co-Author, "Could a Cross-Border Merger in Mexico be a Viable Acquisition Structure," Latin American Law and Business Report, October 31, 2001
· Quoted, "Barriers Falling By Wayside For Global Mergers," Miami Herald, May 10, 1998
· Moderator, "Case Study: Proin (Promotora de Infraestructura Registral)," 5th Annual Latin American Energy & Infrastructure Finance Forum, Coral Gables, FL, March 2011
· Speaker, "Attorney/Client Privilege and Professional Secrecy," European Union: Legal Developments, University of Miami School of Law, February 20, 2004
· Speaker, "The Senior Officer and Sarbanes-Oxley," Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance for the Pharmaceutical Industry Conference, July 31, 2003
· Speaker, "ABA Connection-Learning to Live with Sarbanes-Oxley," American Bar Association Teleconference, February 19, 2003