Paul's practice in intellectual property focuses on providing strategic advice on building and defending patent portfolios; creating strategic defenses to patent portfolios; conducting due diligence investigations; drafting and negotiating licensing agreements, technology transfer agreements and non-disclosure and consulting agreements; and the management of large, complex patent portfolios.
Paul has worked with technology companies in the Silicon Valley area for more than 25 years. He has a wide experience with a variety of technologies that include: mobile payments; mobile applications; social networking; software, including enterprise software applications; program interfaces and services relative to the initial user of these interfaces and services; video conferencing; investment platforms; medical devices; electronics; semi-conductors; telecommunications; photonics; and networking technologies.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Paul practiced with another international law firm.
Recognitions & Awards
•Top 25 IP Strategists, Daily Journal (2013)
•Fellowship at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1971-1973)
•Author, Forward -Publishing Patents: A Way to Tell Competitors 'Stay Out'?, JD Supra Business Advisor (03.14.2014)
• Author, Intellectual Property Projection for Electro-optics: Does It Hinder or Promote Technical Innovation?, SPIE (08.2012)
• Author, Applying Recent Case Law and Legislation to Business Method Patents, Chapter 3, Inside the Minds: Emerging Trends in Business Method Patents (2012)
• Author, Smart Grid and the Importance of Intellectual Property, Mondaq.com (07.2011)
• Author, New USPTO Guidelines and the Obviousness Standard for Patents: Strategies to Withstand Obviousness Rejections and Attacks on Patent Validity, Strafford Publishing seminar (01.2010)
•Featured in Mintz Levin Adds Goodwin IP Atty, WilmerHale Securities Pro, Law360 (05.02.2013)
• Mintz Levin Now Among Fastest Growing Law Firms in Bay Area, (05.02.2013)
• Featured in Mintz Levin Strikes Again, Adds Veteran Patent Lawyer, Daily Journal (05.02.2013)
• Featured in Mintz Takes IP Partner from Goodwin, The Recorder (05.02.2013)
•Speaker, The PTO and CAFC Perspective on Patent Law Sections 102 and 103, SPIE (2012)
• Speaker, Prior Art and Obviousness: Current Trends in Section 102 & 103, Practising Law Institute (07.2011)
• Speaker, Intellectual Property: Rights in the Intangible Assets Protected under IP Law, Stanford University (05.2011)
• Speaker, Obviousness Standard for Patents Approaches to Withstand USPTO Obviousness Rejections and Attacks on Patent Validity, Obviousness Standard for Patents, Practising Law Institute (2011)
• Speaker, Prior Art and Obviousness: Current Trends in Section 102 & 103, Practising Law Institute (09.2010)
• Speaker, Transportation Greening Advances, FountainBlue Clean Energy Entrepreneurs Forum (08.2010)
• Speaker, Advanced Patent Licensing 2009: What You Need to Know Before Licensing Your Patent, Strafford Publishing (01.2010)
• Speaker, New USPTO Guidelines and the Obviousness Standard for Patents, Strafford Publishing (01.2010)
• Speaker, Patenting Green Technologies, Strafford Publishing (01.2010)