Paul F. Sefcovic focuses his practice on structured finance and public finance matters, serving as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, issuer counsel, credit provider counsel and trustee's counsel in a wide variety of public and private taxable and tax-exempt financing and asset securitizations. These financings have included SEC registrations, master indenture structures, credit enhancement features, variable interest rate terms, interest rate swaps and related issues. He also serves as corporate counsel to nonprofit and for profit student loan companies with respect to loan sales, structuring private loan programs, loan servicing and other corporate matters. Additionally, Paul's clients include health care (both hospital and long-term care), and other nonprofit entities. He also serves as bond counsel or underwriter's counsel on pollution control, health care bond pools, solid waste and industrial development bond issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Paul was an equity partner at a large international firm. Paul has counseled in Arizona, California, New York, Texas, Ohio, Maine, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Illinois, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Alaska and Minnesota.
Professional & Community Involvement
• Member, Education Finance Council
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, The Best Lawyers In America, 2013-2014
• Listed, "Top Lawyer," Columbus C.E.O. magazine, 2012
• Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
• Acted as underwriter's counsel and bond counsel with respect to $16 billion of aggregate student loan senior and subordinate asset-backed bonds and notes, LIBOR, reset and auction rate securities issued by various Texas entities.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $4.1 billion in aggregate student loans senior and subordinate auction rate and SEC registered LIBOR notes for a California-based student loan company.°
• Acted as transaction counsel to issuer and bond counsel for $5.5 billion worth of tobacco settlement payments for senior and subordinate asset-backed bonds and notes, trust, LIBOR, reset and auction rate securities.°
• Acted as bond counsel and disclosure counsel to a major multi-hospital non-profit corporation for all of its tax-exempt financings from 1978 through 2012.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $4.1 billion of aggregate student loan revenue bonds SEC registered auction rate fixed securities issued by an Ohio entity.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $800 million aggregate student loan senior and subordinate asset-backed notes and auction rate securities issued by a Delaware corporation.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for senior and subordinate auction rate and SEC registered LIBOR student loan notes aggregating $1.2 billion issued by a Pennsylvania entity.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $765 million of senior and subordinate LIBOR floating rate notes issued by a Georgia bank.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $222.9 million of SEC registered senior subordinated asset-backed notes and LIBOR floating rate notes issued by a Virginia Bank.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $571 million senior and subordinate student loan auction rate securities issued by an Arizona entity.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $600 million in of aggregate student loan senior asset-backed notes, senior revenue bonds (tax-exempt), subordinate revenue bonds (tax-exempt), trust T-bill floating rate notes and auction rate securities issued by a California entity.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for $800 million aggregate insured student loan bonds for an Alaska entity.°
• Acted as underwriter's counsel for asset-backed notes, senior LIBOR floating rate notes, senior auction rate notes, subordinate fixed rate notes, in a limited offering aggregating $727.8 million issued by an Ohio entity.°
• Acted as counsel to educational institutions in structuring private student loan programs.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Sefcovic prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Paul often speaks at programs sponsored by the Education Finance Council, a trade group for the student loan industry.
08.19.13 28, Phoenix Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2014 List
(Also at Phoenix, AZ Office)