Paul Brown focuses his practice on antitrust and business litigation. Paul's antitrust practice is international in scope and includes litigating civil and criminal price-fixing, monopolization, tying, exclusive dealing, and resale price maintenance claims. He also provides counseling for DOJ/FTC investigations, joint venture formation, mergers and acquisitions, pricing plans, and other contractual relationships. Paul's business litigation experience includes contract disputes and business torts, warranty disputes, intellectual property/patent litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and energy litigation. It also includes international dispute resolution, arbitration, and class action litigation.
Areas of Concentration
· Antitrust and trade regulation
· Class action defense
· Commercial litigation
· eDiscovery and eRetention
· International arbitration
Professional & Community Involvement
· Vice Chair, Joint Conduct Committee, Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, 2011-Present
· Board of Directors, Justice for Children, 2003-2004
· Contributing Editor, Antitrust Law Developments (Seventh), Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association
· Editorial Board Member, 2010 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments, Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association
· Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
· Member, Houston Bar Association
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Leadership Houston, Class XXVII
· Volunteer Attorney, Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
· Obtained a multimillion dollar unanimous jury verdict plus interest and attorneys' fees on behalf of client after six days of trial in federal court in Houston.
· Obtained dismissal of claims of conspiracy to monopolize by predatory pricing, filed against a Mexican cement supplier by an El Paso concrete contractor.
· Obtained dismissal of resale price maintenance claims against a leading herbal supplements manufacturer brought by a Florida internet retailer with which the manufacturer refused to do business.
· Obtained summary judgment for a real estate servicing company asserting claims that the borrower violated certain lending restrictions.
· Represented medical equipment rental company in antitrust action in East Texas against claims of monopolization, restraint of trade and common law conspiracy.
· Represented Kansas City Southern in arbitration of post-acquisition claims against a Mexican maritime transportation company.
· Represented an energy hedge fund and its principles against claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy in New York state court.
· Represented a Hong Kong-based electronics manufacturer in warranty litigation.
· Represented Caribbean oil and gas producer in arbitration before the ICC regarding the purchase of offshore leases.
· Represented an Indian-owned steel production company in Texas involving claims against a London-based steel supplier.
· Represented a financial services company in class action securities fraud case.°
· Represented a national retailer in tying claims against two credit card companies.°
· Represented a college textbook publisher against claims of monopolization.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Brown prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
· Law Clerk, The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas, 1998-2000