Paul Keenan represents corporate debtors, banks and other lending institutions, Chapter 11 trustees, secured and unsecured creditors, and asset purchasers in out-of-court corporate restructurings and bankruptcy cases at Greenberg Traurig. He represents clients in bankruptcy courts in Florida and nationwide, and has wide-ranging experience before Delaware bankruptcy courts. He also frequently represents purchasers of distressed assets and lenders and borrowers in out-of-court transactions. Paul speaks Spanish and represents lending institutions and corporate debtors in cross-border corporate restructurings, primarily in Latin America and the Caribbean. Paul is a past President of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida.
Most recently, Paul was one of the lead restructuring lawyers for Satélites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V., whose restructuring of $420 million of debt was awarded the "Restructuring Deal of the Year Award" by Latin Lawyer magazine.
Areas of Concentration
· Domestic and cross-border corporate restructurings
· Bankruptcy litigation
· Sales of distressed assets
· Loan workouts
· Secured transactions
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· President, Bankruptcy Bar Association, Southern District of Florida, 2009-2010
· Chair, Latin America Committee, INSOL International
Awards & Recognition
· fellow, INSOL International
· Member, Winning Team, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Finalist, Daily Business Review, "Top Dealmaker of the Year - Corporate (International) Category," 2012
· Member, Winning Team, Latin Lawyer's "Deal of the Year - Restructuring" Award, 2012
· Listed, Legal 500 US, 2011
· Member, team selected by Chambers and Partners, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)" Award, Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010
· Member, team selected by Chambers and Partners, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)" Award, Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009 and 2010
· Representation of a Mexican satellite company in its restructuring of more than $400 million in debt through a prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
· Representation of a national retail furniture chain with more than $400 million in annual revenue in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
· Representation of a large Caribbean telecommunications company in all aspects of its corporate reorganization and restructuring of $500 million in debt.
· Representation of private equity firm in securing the "stalking horse" position in a $60 million "363" sale.
· Representation of a group of aircraft purchasers in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a jet aircraft manufacturer.
· Representation of a group of off-track betting facilities in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a national owner and operator of horse racetracks.
· Representation of a national mortgage loan originator and servicer in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
· Representation of a Chapter 11 trustee in the bankruptcy case of a regional retail chain with over 60 stores in the southeastern United States.
· Representation of a major cruise line in the negotiation, drafting and bankruptcy court approval of a DIP financing facility to facilitate the restructuring of one of its crucial vendors.
· Representation of U.S. investors in the corporate restructuring of an Argentine charter airline.
· Representation of significant real estate developers in out-of-court restructurings, and the planning and implementation of corporate reorganization strategies.
· Representation of committees of unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, and prosecuting numerous actions to determine the extent, validity and priority of liens.
· Representation of financial and strategic purchasers in the acquisition of distressed companies in and out of bankruptcy court.
· Representation of borrowers in loan syndications and securitizations.
· Representation of landlords in the enforcement of leasing rights and "buy-back" of leases in bankruptcy cases of large retail debtors.
· Representation of purchasers of U.S. and Latin American debt and implementation of "loan-to-own" strategies.
· Summer Associate, Baker & McKenzie, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1998
- Responsible for drafting and translating legal documents for numerous transactions, including the privatization of a Central American telephone company.
· Officer, United States Navy, 1990-1997
- USS Nassau (LHA-4)
- Military advisor to Colombian Navy and Coast Guard, U.S. Embassy, Bogota, Colombia
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Understand Your Options For Exit Financing," Law360, May 29, 2013
· Co-Author, "In Re Vitro - Clarity Pending," Bankruptcy Law360, June 20, 2012
· Co-Author, "Restructuring and Insolvency: United States," PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook, 2011
· Co-Author, "The Latest in Exit Financing Structures," Law360, 2011
· Co-Author, "Uncertainty for Prepackaged Bankruptcies in Mexico," Law360, 2011
· Co-Author, "Chapter 15: the US cross-border insolvency law," PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook, 2007-2008
· Co-Author, "Trading Claims and Interests," Bankruptcy Business Acquisitions, Chapter 30, 2006
· Co-Author, "Reforming Latin American Insolvency Law," PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook, Practical Law Company, 2006/2007
· Author, "Chapter 15: A New Chapter to Meet the Growing Need to Regulate Cross-Border Insolvencies," Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2006
· Author, "The 1998 Argentine Labor Reform Act: The Perpetuation of an Incoherent State?" 54 U. Miami L. Rev. 125, 1999
· Author, "Protection for Foreign Debtors and Creditors," Latin Lawyer, Volume 4, Issue 3
· Speaker, "Buying and Selling Troubled Companies," International Cross-border Insolvency and Restructuring, INSOL International, São Paulo, Brazil, June 13, 2013
· Speaker, "Distressed Investing Strategies," Debtwire's Latin American Distressed Debt Investment Strategies, New York, NY, April 11, 2013
· Speaker, "Pari Passu Teleconference," American Task Force Argentina Teleconference, January 8, 2013
· Speaker, "Cultural Considerations in Cross-Border Proceedings," Annual Review of Insolvency Law, Montréal, Québec, February 8, 2013
· Speaker, "Overview of Recent Legal Developments," EMTA's Recent Legal Developments in Argentine Debt, New York, NY, January 7, 2013
· Speaker, "Future Development of Restructuring Practice in Mexico," American Bankruptcy Institute's US-Mexico Restructuring Symposium, Mexico City, Mexico, November 7, 2012
· Moderator, "Distressed Debt Investment Strategies: Spotlight Mexico," Debtwire Breakfast Panel, Mexico City, Mexico, September 12, 2012
· Speaker, "The Impact and Influence of the Government on High Profile Insolvency Cases in Latin America," INSOL Annual Regional Conference, Miami, FL, May 20-22, 2012
· Speaker, "Turnaround Management: A Key Factor in Key Insolvency Restructurings," INSOL International Buenos Aires One Day Seminar, November 2011
· Speaker, "The Latest in Exit Financing Structures," New York, New York, June 2011
· Speaker, "Cooperation Between Courts in Jurisdictions that Adopted the UNCITRAL Model Law," Panel Chair, INSOL International, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2009
· Speaker, Cross-Border Restructurings, Latin Lawyer Webinar, April 2009
· Speaker, Colombia Training Programme on Cross-Border Insolvency Law sponsored by INSOL International, Bogota - Cali - Medellin - Cartagena, August 2007
· Speaker, Roundtable for the Dominican Republic's Council on Competitiveness, Santo Domingo, DR, January 2006