Paul J. Murphy has broad experience in virtually all forms of business litigation, construction, and labor and employment matters. Paul represents clients across a wide range of industries, including higher education, public and private construction, technology, and health care. He tries cases in numerous state and federal trial and appellate courts, and before numerous agencies and tribunals, including the American Arbitration Association.
As Co-Chair of Greenberg Traurig's Education Group, Paul represents a number of colleges and universities in a wide range of legal matters, including business litigation, labor and employment, athletic field and dormitory construction projects, drafting and negotiation of vendor contracts, faculty and tenure issues, Town/Gown relations, and campus security issues. Paul also advises various Boards of Trustees on policy matters and strategic issues.
Paul's management labor and employment experience includes union avoidance campaigns, collective bargaining, defense of alleged unfair labor practices and the drafting and negotiation of executive employment contracts.
Areas of Concentration
· Business litigation
· Labor relations
· Employment law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
· Panel Member, American Arbitration Association
· Former President, Operation A.B.L.E. of Greater Boston, Inc., Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represents colleges and universities before the U.S. Department of Education and Massachusetts Department of Higher Education in federal (Title IV) and state funding/financial aid matters/investigations.
· Assisted in the formation and ongoing operation of two different Division III intercollegiate athletic conferences.
· Represents several private ambulance service providers in the defense and arbitration of matters involving alleged unfair labor practices, as well as strike negotiations, and matters before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
· Advises diverse construction industry clients involved in private and public construction claims, litigation, and business torts in the federal and state trial courts.
Published Decisions include:
· Chaulk Services v. Massachusetts Comm. Against Discrimination, 70 F.3d 1361 (1st Cir. 1995).
· Brian A. Dartt v. Browning Ferris Industries, Inc., 427 Mass. 1, 691 N.E.2d 526 (1998).
· Seetharaman v. Stone & Webster, Inc., DOL Case No. 2003-CAA-00004 (ALJ Nov. 30, 2005).
· Lunin v. C.N.J., Inc., 436 F. 3d 44 (1st Cir. 2006).
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Murphy prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Lecturer, "Interplay Between FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation," Massachusetts Family and Medical Leave Act Seminar, September 1999, September 2000