Paul J. Pantano, Jr., the head of Cadwalader's Energy & Commodities Group, focuses his practice in the areas of energy, commodities and derivatives law. He represents energy companies, commodity and swap dealers, brokerage firms, trade associations and financial industry professionals in a wide variety of transactional, regulatory, investigative and litigation matters.
Paul regularly represents clients in investigations and regulatory matters before the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other federal government agencies.
Recognized as a leading energy lawyer by numerous independent commentators, Paul has been ranked by Chambers USA, Legal 500 and The Best Lawyers in America. He is a member of the editorial board of the Futures & Derivatives Law Report and a frequent speaker at energy and commodity industry conferences.
Paul is a past chair of the American Bar Association Committee on Derivatives and Futures Law. He is a member of the Energy Bar Association, the Law & Compliance Division of the Futures Industry Association and a former adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law School, where he co-taught a graduate law course on the regulation of commodity and derivatives transactions. He is a member of the Duke Law Alumni Board of Visitors.
Prior to entering private practice, Paul was a trial attorney in the Division of Enforcement of the CFTC, where he represented the commission in numerous civil and administrative enforcement actions.
Paul earned his B.A. from Trinity College and his J.D. from the Duke University School of Law. He is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association.
• Represented scores of wholesale energy and commodity dealers, merchants, producers and end users in CFTC, FERC and joint CFTC-FERC investigations, several of which were closed without the initiation of enforcement actions
• Negotiated many settlements with the CFTC, FERC and exchanges on behalf of energy and commodity trading companies
• Represented an affiliate of a financial holding company in numerous joint ventures for the development and implementation of municipal and residential solar energy programs throughout the United States
• Represented the power marketing affiliate of an international financial institution in connection with the sale of its U.S. power and natural gas trading business to an affiliate of a major international oil company
• Represented Barclays Bank PLC in acquiring the power and gas, metals and crude oil trading portfolio of UBS AG
• Represented J. Aron & Company/Goldman Sachs in acquiring the international commodity trading business of Constellation Energy Commodities Group, Inc.
• Represented Merrill Lynch in negotiating a complex financing and tax-equity investment commitment for the construction of a series of geothermal power plants
• Represented Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Merrill Lynch Commodities, Inc. in their acquisition of Entergy-Koch Trading, LP
• Represented Morgan Stanley in acquisitions of several portfolios of physical and financially-settled energy commodity transactions
• Represented Barclays Capital in its acquisition of Duke Energy North America's multi-billion dollar portfolio of physical commodity and derivatives contracts