As a co-chair of Edwards Wildman's nationally recognized Private Equity & Venture Capital practice group, Paul represents institutional investors and companies in a variety of business transactions involving private and public companies, including leveraged buyouts and venture capital investments, mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, senior and subordinated debt financings, recapitalizations and restructurings, and corporate governance matters.
While Paul advises businesses in a number of contexts, he spends most of his time advising private equity firms in their varied investment activities, with an emphasis on middle market leveraged acquisitions. After his client's acquisition, Paul typically advises the portfolio company on the company's strategic priorities, including add-on acquisitions and dispositions, structuring management equity and other incentives, debt and equity recapitalizations and restructurings, and the company's ultimate sale to a strategic player or financial acquiror.
In addition, Paul counsels various executives with respect to their employment and incentive equity arrangements, most often with companies owned by private equity investors.
Paul's involvement in the full lifecycle of a private equity investment affords him the perspective to appreciate the various constituents' concerns and priorities when planning and implementing a client's strategies. This allows him to anticipate issues and craft creative and cost-effective solutions.
•Advised Nautic Partners and portfolio company QoL meds in its combination with Genoa Healthcare, creating the nation's market leading behavioral health specialty pharmacy company that will do business as Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company.
•Represented Silver Oak Services Partners in its recapitalization of Construction Labor Group, a Richfield, Ohio-based leading provider of temporary staffing of skilled tradesmen for the commercial construction market, in partnership with the founder and management.
•Represented Nautic Partners in its acquisition, in partnership with management, of QoL meds, a Pittsburgh-based specialty pharmacy serving the mental health community.
•Counseled Nautic Partners and its portfolio company Superior Vision in the acquisition of Block Vision, creating a combined company that provides vision benefit plans to more than 8.5 million members nationwide.
•Represented private equity firm client Silver Oak Services Partners in its leveraged acquisition of The Tranzonic Companies, a Cleveland, Ohio-based distributor of disposable maintenance, cleaning and safety products to the away-from-home marketplace, from Linsalata Capital Partners and a number of bank shareholders.
•Represented American Partners Inc., a Rhode Island-based staffing firm specializing in information technology professionals, in its sale to BG Staffing, a private equity-backed staffing company headquartered in Dallas.
•Represented client Lilliputian Systems, Inc., a developer of portable power products for consumer electronics, in completing a venture financing led by RUSNANO, a Russian government-owned investor in nanotechnology projects, and existing investors, including Altira Group, Intel Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Stata Venture Partners and Atlas Venture.
•Advised Nautic Partners in its leveraged acquisition of Superior Vision Holdings, Inc., a California-based provider of vision insurance coverage.
•Counseled Silver Oak Services Partners in its leveraged acquisition, in conjunction with management and co-investors, of Altura Communication Solutions, a leading provider of voice and data communications solutions and associated maintenance services.
•Advised Nautic Partners in its sale of Fibertech Networks, a leading regional provider of fiber optic bandwidth services, to Court Square Capital Partners.
•Represented Nautic Partners in its co-investment with The Jordan Company in Milestone Aviation Group Limited, the first global specialty finance company focused exclusively on the helicopter and private jet markets.
•Counseled Schooner Capital in its growth equity investment in Seventh Generation, Inc., the preeminent consumer brand in North America of authentic, safe and environmentally responsible products for the home.
•Advised Gilbane Building Company in its acquisition of Innovative Technical Solutions, Inc., a California-based provider of building, infrastructure and environmental services to the U.S. federal government, including the Department of Defense, Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy.
•Advised Nautic Partners in its recapitalization of Healthcare Payment Specialists (HPS), a provider of payment and reimbursement solutions to hospitals and other healthcare systems, in partnership with HPS management.
• Counseled Silver Oak Services Partners in its leveraged recapitalization of Nashville, Tennessee-based National Distribution & Contracting, Inc. (NDC), a master distributor of medical, dental and veterinary supplies, in partnership with management, certain existing NDC stockholders, and co-investors.
• Represented Lilliputian Systems, Inc., a developer of energy efficient batteries for cell phones and other portable consumer electronics, in a $28 million venture capital financing with Altira Group, Stata Venture Partners and the Company's current investors.
• Counseled Silver Oak Services Partners in its acquisition of Accent Food Services, an Austin, Texas-based provider of vending, coffee and break room refreshment services.
• Advised Balducci's Food Lover's Market in the sale of its High Noon catering business and chain of restaurants to Organic to Go.
• Advised Seaport Capital in its leveraged acquisition of American Internet Services, Inc., a San Diego-based provider of data center co-location services.
• Represented Nautic Partners in its leveraged acquisition of American Imaging Management, Inc. (AIM), a radiology benefit management and technology company, and advised Nautic and AIM in the Company's sale to WellPoint, Inc. (NYSE: WLP), the nation's largest health benefits company in terms of commercial membership, for approximately $300 million.
• Advised Nautic Partners in its leveraged acquisition of Prince Sports, Inc., a premier branded sporting goods company that develops, sources and markets racquet sports equipment, footwear, apparel and accessories.
• Represented Nautic Partners and Genstar Capital in the formation and funding of Axia Health Management, LLC, a provider of preventive health and wellness programs to insurance companies and employers, and the Company and its private equity investors in Axia's five acquisitions and eventual sale to Healthways, Inc., a public company, for $450 million.
• Negotiated a private equity firm's sale of a multinational franchisor of carpet and upholstery cleaning services to The Home Depot, Inc.
• Advised a private equity backed manufacturer of flavors and fragrances in its negotiated acquisition of a public company competitor, and the debt and equity financing of the acquisition.
• Represented a private equity firm in its funding of the acquisition of a television broadcast company.
• Negotiated a buyout firm's acquisition of a company providing outsourced services to medical device manufacturers.
• Negotiated a venture capital firm's partnership with a broadcast industry merchant bank that acquires, improves and operates radio stations.
• Assisted a private equity client in a bid to acquire one of Ireland's largest publicly held companies.
• Advised a manufacturer of precision dispensing equipment in its sale to a publicly traded industrial products company.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Paul is past Chairman of the Board of Directors of The San Miguel School, a middle school in Providence for boys from challenging circumstances, and remains involved in the school in various capacities. He serves on the Campaign Leadership Committee for Amos House, a nonprofit social services agency that provides hospitality and direct services to the homeless and poor of Rhode Island. In his free time, Paul enjoys participating in various sports (particularly ice hockey) and watching his daughters play them.