Mr. Gerding, Jr. is Chair of the Litigation Department in the Scottsdale office of Kutak Rock LLP. His practice is devoted to complex civil litigation involving contract disputes, employment law, real estate, construction, securities, business torts, fiduciary breach claims, shareholder disputes, health law, negligence, bad faith, creditors' rights, regulatory and general commercial matters. He has represented numerous public and private corporations, insurers, financial institutions, governmental entities and agencies, tribal entities, and prominent individuals.
• Lead trial counsel in numerous commercial matters involving issues of multimillion-dollar liability which were won by dispositive motion or tried to completion.
• Current state and federal appellate practice representing appellants and appellees before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
• Represents business and financial institutions in complex contract and credit facility enforcement.
• National lecturer, Sensitivity in the Workplace, sensitivity training for corporate clients with a significant employee base.
• Substantial experience defending a wide variety of labor and employment claims, including those arising under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983, Title VII, ADA, ADEA, ERISA, COBRA, Arizona Wage Act, Arizona Legal Workers Act and the Arizona Employment Protection Act.
• Substantial administrative experience before the EEOC, NLRB, Merit Systems Protection Board, Office of the Arizona and Illinois Attorneys General, the Arizona and Illinois Departments of Employment Security and the Arizona and Illinois Industrial Commissions.
• Former Member, Arizona Heart Hospital Institutional Review Board.
January 27, 2012 No Employer Liability in Third-Party Tort Actions Downey v. Western Comty. College Area, 282 Neb. 970 (2012)
January 14, 2011 Kutak Rock Earns Best Firm, Best Boss Awards
January 27, 2012 No Employer Liability in Third-Party Tort Actions
Memberships and Affiliations
American Bar Association; State Bar of Arizona; Maricopa County Bar Association; The Legal Club of Chicago; Scottsdale Bar Association
• Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent attorney by Martindale-Hubbell.
• Recognized in 2009 and 2010 as one of Arizona's Best Lawyers by AZ Business Magazine.
• Recognized as one of Arizona's Top People to Know in Commercial Real Estate by Arizona Commercial Real Estate magazine, 2009.