Pedro focuses on all aspects of patent law, including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, the rendering of opinions on infringement and validity, patent monetization, IP due diligence investigations in M&A transactions, litigation, and client counseling, with an emphasis on software, wireless communications, semiconductors, image processing, medical devices, wireless medical devices, and consumer products.
He has extensive experience in handling patent matters for emerging and global high-technology companies, and draws on his litigation experience to prepare and prosecute patents with an eye towards enforcement. Pedro also draws on his technical and legal experience to assist venture funds and high-tech companies conduct IP due diligence investigations in connection with the acquisition of IP assets. Pedro has also litigated patent infringement and validity disputes before several US district courts, in matters involving multiple patents and complex technologies.
Representative technologies include all aspects of wireless networks; communications protocols, including GSM, CDMA2000, 3GPP, Wi-Fi, WiMax, and LTE; spread spectrum; millimeter wave; virtual private networks (VPN); cloud computing; optical networking; synchronous optical networking (SONET); asynchronous transfer mode (ATM); wave division multiplexing (WDM); optical devices, including optical filters and lasers; network security; coding; encryption; data compression; liquid crystal displays; database platforms; search tools; data mining; pattern recognition; neural networks; web-based advertising; GPS based systems; and laser-based surgical devices.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Pedro worked for an international intellectual property law firm in Washington, DC. Before beginning his legal career, Pedro gained over 12 years of technical experience in engineering positions with the US Air Force, National Security Agency (NSA), and technology companies. As an Air Force engineer, Pedro developed and tested a variety of advanced spread spectrum and millimeter wave communication systems as well as advanced image processing systems. He also gained experience in the semiconductor field while working at KLA Instruments. More recently, Pedro was employed as a principal member of the technical staff at Litton/TASC in Annapolis Junction, Maryland. In this position, he consulted on a variety of wired and wireless communication systems, and his engineering career culminated in his serving as the lead designer of a major ATM network development.
Pedro has also lectured on intellectual property, including a presentation on De-Mystifying Intellectual Property to technology entrepreneurs at the University of New Mexico. More recently, he moderated a panel on Effectively Leveraging Your IP to Finance Your Start-Up at the University of California, San Diego, participated as a panelist at theSan Diego Daily Transcript's IP Roundtable on Patent Quality, and lectured on Entrepreneurial Best Practices at the UC Berkley Haas School of Business.
Pedro is a Lieutenant Colonel (retired) in the US Air Force Reserves.
• Mintz Levin's Pedro F. Suarez to Serve on Intellectual Property Owners Association's Software and Business Methods Committee, (03.27.2014)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro F. Suarez Moderates Panel on Non-Practicing Entity Patent Litigation at Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference, (03.26.2014)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro F. Suarez to Present on Intellectual Property Issues as Part of Veteran-Owned Business Series, (03.10.2014)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro Suarez to Present at Stanford University Innovation Farm Teams Project, (03.19.2013)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro Suarez to Moderate IP Panel at Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Corporate Counsel Conference, (03.11.2013)
• Mintz Levin's Pedro Suarez and Michael Van Loy to Present at Stanford University, (01.29.2013)
• Mintz Levin Member Pedro Suarez to Present at San Diego State University College of Business Administration, (11.29.2012)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Pedro Suarez Reappointed to Board of Directors of University of New Mexico Non Profit Corporation, (06.21.2012)
Recognitions & Awards
• San Diego Daily Transcript:Top Attorneys (2010)
Speaker,Intellectual Property,Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 2: Intellectual Property, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (03.11.2014)
• Moderator,Managing Your IP Portfolio: Current Trends and Best Practices,Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Corporate Counsel Conference, Hispanic National Bar Association, Atlanta, GA (03.14.2013)
• Speaker,How Does the New Patent Law Affect You?, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (01.31.2013) (Also at San Diego Office)